• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Noisy pallets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bellsie

Reaction score
I have a Vignoni 72 bass piano box which is a couple of years old. I never noticed until I started recording with it that the pallets on the keyboard are quite clacky. I have tried all sorts of mic positions and distances, with both condenser and dynamic mics and the noise is still noticeable on the recording. Is this something I just have to live with or can I do anything about it?

Thanks, Graham

It is normal for the pallets to make a bit of noise. (It's so normal that Roland even includes fake pallet noise of adjustable level in the V-accordion.)
But some accordions are definitely more noisy than others. I am currently repairing a Fisart (same factory as Vignoni) and it's quite noisy as well. (But the Fisart has more serious problems than just pallet noise.) I have different accordions of my own, including a Hohner Artiste X S (made by Excelsior), two Bugari accordions, one Pigini bass accordion, and a Russian AKKO (bayan). The bayan is clearly noisier than the Italian accordions.Two factors that influence pallet noise, besides age are 1) the thickness of the felt and 2) the softness of the felt, or whether it hardened a bit through paint/die or not. There is red felt used for pallets, which is colored red, and there is white felt which supposedly is uncolored and a bit softer as a result. The highest-end instruments use white felt.
What I do when recording is 1) place the mics at a bit of distance and 2) ignore the pp and ppp indicators. You can play a bit louder and then turn down the volume in post-processing.
Another contributing factor is how you let go of the keys. Any clacking when you press is coming from the key hitting the felt cushioning under it and clacking when you let go is from the pallets. I have more problems with the key clacking than the pallets from releasing. That is a long-standing consequence of having studied the piano for years before starting on the accordion.
I make recordings of a virtual ensemble (me playing all the parts) and in the mix the clacking is still noticeable but less so than when you hear just one voice.

You might try to lower the keyboard --
That clacking will be reduced and if that is not to your liking you will have to repad the treble pallets --

Now as lowering the keyboard will reduce the clacking but depending on the quality of your reeds you might find
the high notes not sounding and the lower notes choking.
If this happens your only alternative is to replace the valve padding.

Last edited:
It is normal for the pallets to make a bit of noise. (It's so normal that Roland even includes fake pallet noise of adjustable level in the V-accordion.)
But some accordions are definitely more noisy than others. I am currently repairing a Fisart (same factory as Vignoni) and it's quite noisy as well. (But the Fisart has more serious problems than just pallet noise.) I have different accordions of my own, including a Hohner Artiste X S (made by Excelsior), two Bugari accordions, one Pigini bass accordion, and a Russian AKKO (bayan). The bayan is clearly noisier than the Italian accordions.Two factors that influence pallet noise, besides age are 1) the thickness of the felt and 2) the softness of the felt, or whether it hardened a bit through paint/die or not. There is red felt used for pallets, which is colored red, and there is white felt which supposedly is uncolored and a bit softer as a result. The highest-end instruments use white felt.
What I do when recording is 1) place the mics at a bit of distance and 2) ignore the pp and ppp indicators. You can play a bit louder and then turn down the volume in post-processing.
Another contributing factor is how you let go of the keys. Any clacking when you press is coming from the key hitting the felt cushioning under it and clacking when you let go is from the pallets. I have more problems with the key clacking than the pallets from releasing. That is a long-standing consequence of having studied the piano for years before starting on the accordion.
I make recordings of a virtual ensemble (me playing all the parts) and in the mix the clacking is still noticeable but less so than when you hear just one voice.
Thanks for this. I suspected there wasn’t a lot could be done apart from looking at softer pallet linings or find a box that has less noise. The noise is definitely from the pallets closing rather than the keys themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back