• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks

no squeeze today

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 48

What does the Pub think , is this a joke or not?

organetto due bassi suonato a bocca

A melodeon played this way? Whos tried this before? I did not, and before trying, Id like to ask.
Is there another player playing a second melodeon in the background?

What is the verdict of the pub jury ?

Tho the key presses are synchronized with the music it's hard to see how there's any air for the reeds, the bellows straps are on and there's no discernible bellows movement that I can see. My better half wondered if she's somehow blowing into

I can't really tell from the video. She's supposed to blow air with the mouth (a bocca).
As the bellows are closed, the wind chamber is compact, but still...

I'm waiting for the pub grand jury's arguments

(I'm not behind this video, just stumbled upon it)

she must have bloody great lungs as precisely timed sucks and blows would be required - unless someone else or a recording was part of the 'trick'

george

Maybe someone told her this is a supersize mouth harmonica ;)

The sound corresponds with the melodeon, so I think she's not holding a large mouth harmonica behind the melodeon.

I'd like to know more about this trick, joke or not.

(If this is real, I'm interested in knowing the relation between the volume/size of the bellows/wind chamber and the amount of air pressure a human can generate to set action to reeds. In this case 2-voice reeds, I think it is a 2-voice melodeon/organetto (?) )

Unless proven otherwise, still like to think it is real...

Technically, it would not be that difficult to use a foot pump as a "trick", and hide the tube in your pants going up under the pull over.

The foot pump idea is a good one but how would she get the pushes and pulls?

Indeed! and she did not appear to be sucking and blowing and a suck blow pump would be imposible to contrive. Maybe 2 pipes petween the person and the box- one from the mouth for 'suck' and one from t'other end for 'blow'

george :D

Accordion air requirement is pretty big compared with lung capacity. Average "tidal volume," ie volume pushed in and out for average adult lungs is about .5 litre, 500ml. Given the bellows dimensions of even a small diatonic like an organetto, and that's less than 2cm of bellows movement for the volume of a whole breath.

Another option/trick would be to use some sort of device or construction inside the melodeon that would reduce the wind chamber to a minimal size, and direct the bulk of the air pressure to the reeds/reedblock(s) with minimal air loss.
I don't trust a 100% that blush and smile at the end of the video, a blushing Mona Lisa smile. And she doesn't show the back of the melodeon in the end.
Where's Sherlock when you need him.

If we can't sort this out, there's only one painfull way to find out. Someone will have to sacrifice his/her lungs on a 120 bass bellows, working down to a tiny 12 bass.

As Sherlock said "when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

I'm sure my better half would be more than happy to sacrifice my lungs (and more to the point my boxes) in the pursuit of the truth!

Stephen said:
Another option/trick would be to use some sort of device or construction inside the melodeon that would reduce the wind chamber to a minimal size, and direct the bulk of the air pressure to the reeds/reedblock(s) with minimal air loss.
I dont trust a 100% that blush and smile at the end of the video, a blushing Mona Lisa smile. And she doesnt show the back of the melodeon in the end.
Wheres Sherlock when you need him.

If we cant sort this out, theres only one painfull way to find out. Someone will have to sacrifice his/her lungs on a 120 bass bellows, working down to a tiny 12 bass.

Id suggest that the size of the accordion/bellows is fairly irrelevant. What is important is the number and size of reeds youre trying to sound, and their quality and state of adjustment. OK if youre trying this on a diatonic there will be a small difference between accordion sizes due to a larger internal volume to be compressed/uncompressed with each bellows change, but I dont think that will be nearly as significant as the reed issue.
Sounding high quality reeds in a huge 120 bass will be easier than rubbish reeds in a tiny toy accordion.

(Obviously blowing warm moist air into any decent accordion to condense on the reeds is a bad move. Wind players know condensation is a real issue!)

Thank you. These questions regarding the relation between wind chamber size / volume and air pressure, and the effects on the reeds are interesting reflections.
I suppose also the direction the air pressure is coming from, the angle etc, can also be of some importance.
Blowing straight on the tip of the reed(s), or the air pressure hitting the reed(s) from a different angle...
The variety in thickness of the reed(s), ...

If we look at the different manners of activiting metal free reeds: in mouth harmonica, in a traditional concertina, in a piano melodica, in an accordion having the reeds mounted on reed blocks, etc etc

Spare the lungs and the boxes for the moment, I propose a more practical Watson solution. (Sherlock prefers fiddling anyway)
Any YouTube members ? We could ask the lady to make a short second video, explaining the technique, and showing all sides of the melodeon if special tricks or devices have been used.

Maybe another YT member did something similar and made a video.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back