• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

News of the PA's passing has been greatly exaggerated!😄...

If the PA were so bad compared to CBA we might have seen alternative keyboards on pianos long ago already. (I have seen a rare one with a uniform (Reuters) keyboard once. It apparently did not catch on.)

I may very well be wrong, but in my humble view the common-or-garden piano accordion occupies a middle ground in the spectrum of free reed instruments. I believe the 4 octave chromatic button accordion sits alongside it. Most music can be played on them, and versatility is quite cool. Okay so they will not get the acclaim of the bayan at one extreme end of the modern/heavy classical spectrum or the adoration of the melodeon at the other far end in pure folk music scene. Still, it's nice in the middle too, doing a wee bit of everything. Piano accordion is here to stay. :)

Last edited:
In the 1960s and 70s the piano accordion fell out of favor here, in the US, because its proponents pushed overly technical music that no one wanted to listen to besides other accordionists. Not because rock and roll killed it.

Last edited:
Everything has it's time and place, I guess. I'd be as happy listening to some trad accordion & fiddle tunes as to a classical virtuoso. I like both. Thing is, I don't blame anyone for the downscale in popularity. It is what it is. Also to me, it is only human nature for some people to want to search for the limits of their instruments. They dedicate their lives to their music, and at times I bet that's a hard old road to walk. Maybe you are right Tom, but that's how I see it - a musical world made up of technical, simple, melodic, discordant... and a lot more besides.

Thanks Stewart. It's just me, I don't get it. I mean, we have people like Jerry who has boatloads of technique but uses it in service of music. Ok, I'll go back under a rock a while and listen to stuff I like and clap obediently for the million notes a minute guys and gals.

Back