• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Newbie shopping around for right accordion for me - Irish and Cajun/Zydeco music

abbyrizzo

Reaction score
Hi! I’m Abby. I don’t play accordion. If I acquired a 21 button B/C accordion to mostly learn Irish music, and took some time to learn the notes/scales, could I down the line also use this same instrument to play zydeco or Cajun music? Or do I have to switch to a three row or piano accordion?

If I did need to switch to a different accordion, is that like starting over from the beginning to learn, or will it be easier if I have learned the 21 button?

Thanks very much for your help answering these questions!

Welcome Abby!🙂
I don't have the answer to your questions but suspect our member, boxplayer, will know some, so I'll just give this a bump and hope he comes along 🙂

Hi Abby. Most members of this forum probably play either piano or chromatic button accordion. So, it might be better to ask this question on the forum at melodeon.net. However, by my understanding of Irish and Cajun diatonic instruments (I don't play either of them - so get some opinions from others who do!), I would say the answer is "yes", up to a point.

Each row of a diatonic accordion (aka melodeon) plays the scale of a single diatonic key. The Irish two-row box has rows tuned to keys that are a semi-tone (half-step) apart. B/C and C#/D are the most popular. By playing across the rows and using the appropriate push or pull on the bellows, you can play all 12 chromatic notes, and thus tunes in several keys (theoretically, in all 12 keys, but in practice, only the common Irish keys).

The traditional Cajun box is a single row box with only 10 buttons and only the notes of one diatonic scale. Keys of C and D are popular, but boxes in other keys also exist. So, by using only one row on your B/C Irish box, you can practice playing a Cajun box tuned to the key of either B or C. This should certainly get you past the beginner stage.

Then there is the matter of the bass buttons, which are usually spoons on a Cajun box. The Cajun instrument will have only two buttons/spoons that play only the tonic and dominant bass notes and chords. For the key of C, this would be the C and G bass notes, and the C and G major chords. So, on your B/C Irish box, you would want to use only the two bass buttons that play this combination. The Irish box will probably not have tonic and dominant bass buttons for the key of B, since this is not a common key for Irish music (and also probably not for Cajun music).

In summary, your B/C accordion should have everything you need to get started playing Cajun music in the key of C. Most other types of two or three row diatonic accordions would also work in this way, by playing only one of the rows.

If your primary interest is Irish music, then let me suggest that mastering Irish music on the B/C (or any) box, and playing it well and up to speed, will take you many years. Cajun music is probably easier to learn.

If you find yourself pursuing Cajun music seriously and want to sound authentic, then you may want an actual Cajun box. The difference is that the Cajun box will have four reeds per note (rather than 2 or 3), it may have a different musette tuning, and will be tuned to just temperament (rather than equal temperament as on almost any other accordion).

If you decide to get a Cajun box, then a big decision is what key to specify. That might depend on the other musicians you want to play with. Fiddlers usually prefer to play in D, but I understand that some Cajun fiddlers tune down to C. I have observed that professional Cajun musicians usually have two or three boxes tuned to different keys.

I don't think I have ever heard Cajun music played on anything other than a single row diatonic. Zydeco, however, often uses other types of accordions, as well as the Cajun box.

Last edited:
Thanks so much. This was incredibly helpful as I had not realized there was a difference between diatonic versus chromatic button accordions. This was all great food for thought.

Yes, there are many types of accordions, and as a beginner, you will have to decide which type you want to learn. Diatonic accordions (of which there are many designs) play two different notes on each button, depending on the bellows direction (push or pull). Chromatic accordions (piano and C and B system chromatic button) play the same note for both bellows directions on each key/button. So, the playing technique for these two classes of accordions is very different. If you watch someone playing a diatonic, you will notice that they are frequently reversing the bellows to select which note they want.

Your choice of instrument depends on what appeals to you and the type of music you want to play. Diatonic accordions (aka Melodeons) are popular with folk musicians because they are smaller, lighter, and generally less expensive, and folk melodies usually use a diatonic scale. On the other hand, if you wanted to play jazz or classical, for example, you probably want a chromatic instrument. Folk music is also played on chromatic instruments as well. I play Irish on a C-system chromatic button accordion. Many would consider an Irish diatonic to be more authentic, but some Irish musicians also play piano or chromatic accordion.

As for the bass side, the piano and chromatic button accordions have many buttons (up to 120) for playing bass and chord accompaniment in many keys. The bass side of a diatonic is much simpler and more restricted in what it can play.

If a diatonic box has two or three rows, they are usually tuned to scales a fifth apart. For example, D/G or G/C or A/D/G, etc. The Irish-style diatonic is an exception and the rows play scales a semi-tone apart. It would be a good research project to learn why many Irish musicians prefer these.

These links have diagrams of the various melodeon layouts:

If you find yourself attracted to diatonic instruments, explore the discussions over at melodeon.net.

A lot of confusion arises from the word "accordion", which is assumed to be the name of an instrument, but is in fact a whole, sprawling family of dozens of different instruments. "Accordion" should be used the same way we use "woodwind".

"Accordion" should be used the same way we use "woodwind".
They are all free reed aerophones, aren't they.

That's how they get you. I got attracted by the "Come get your free reed aerophone" shop sign just to find out that they are, on average, £4,000 away from being free.
Complained to the Advertising Standards Agency, but they never got back to me.

Hi! I’m Abby. I don’t play accordion. If I acquired a 21 button B/C accordion to mostly learn Irish music, and took some time to learn the notes/scales, could I down the line also use this same instrument to play zydeco or Cajun music? Or do I have to switch to a three row or piano accordion?

If I did need to switch to a different accordion, is that like starting over from the beginning to learn, or will it be easier if I have learned the 21 button?

Thanks very much for your help answering these questions!

Who needs photoshop!

maxresdefault.jpg

My apologies to Abby for de-railing the thread. I'll get my coat.
Cajun and Zydeco typically use a 1-row 4-voice C accordion. Similar technique than playing a B/C box except you only have 2 bass buttons! You can play Cajun music with your Irish box but if you have 2-voice MM reeds it will not have the typical LMMH sound that we hear from Cajun accordions.

Back