• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

New User Intro

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anatomicarnie

Reaction score
Good Morning All, I have just discovered this brilliant forum. I am an amateur newcomer to the world of accordion music, based in NW UK. I have a Hohner Carmen II which I bought off a feller at work last year and have been teaching myself to play using my 
(quite basic) knowledge of other instruments. My repertoire so far consists mainly of folk/celtic, ska, plus a decidedly dodgy version of "Anarchy in the UK". I would like to make inroads into jazz and other genres but limited by the number of bass buttons (24).  
:shy:

Welcome!!! I suspect if you get into it you will want a more full featured accordion. You can get plenty of advice here.

Welcome! And congrats on stretching the repertoire! “Guns of Navaronne” works great on a 24-bass PA.
You’re about to enter the slippery slope of “just one more” accordion.

Hi Arnie,

Welcome to the forum.

When you say you are from NW UK, does that mean NW Scotland?

Have fun on the forum.

Kind Regards,

Stephen. (NW England)

Hi 'Arnie,
Check out YouTube on the web: you'll be surprised what can be done with 8,4 and eve 2 bass boxes!
Welcome! :)

Thanks for the replies guys. I have learned guns of navarone and it does indeed sound good on a 24 bass, currently scouring youtube for more songs and ebay for my next accordion.

Stephen Hawkins said:
Hi Arnie,

Welcome to the forum.  

When you say you are from NW UK, does that mean NW Scotland?

Have fun on the forum.

Kind Regards,

Stephen.  (NW England)

Lancashire, still UK for now. :)

Hello.
It seems that the Carmen II was popular in these parts. Hohner must. have had a very effective salesman for the Lancahsire area! I inherited my dad's (blue) Carmen II back in the 1990's. He had been given the box for his 21st birthday in 1936 and had gone on to play in the local concert party before the war. Sadly, a shrapnel wound in his right shoulder limited his post war playing and, as he grew older, the accordion lay unused. He gave it to me, glad that it would be given a second life, if only for personal amusement. Between then and now, shamefully I let a busy life creep in and practice grew less frequent.
Now, I'm in my mid 60's and looking to take up dad's challenge. There is plenty of life in these old instruments if nurtured with a bit of TLC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back