• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks

New on here looking for advice

Neill connor

Reaction score
Hi, thank you for having me. I am not yet an accordion player but have been thinking of trying to learn one having played clawhammer banjo, tin whistle and Uilleann pipes and many years ago I played piano. I therefore have a basic knowledge of keyboard but it’s finding the right instrument within my budget. The best piano accordions appear to be Italian but but they come at a hefty price. I have tried my friends Chinese accordion but it to be honest sounds awful and such hard work to play. Recently I have been looking at eBay for vintage accordions and 2 have just come up close to we’re I live. My question is are these 2 models any good and what is likely to be the cost of getting either of them serviced as they, being vintage would probably need one? Am ii better to save up for a reconditioned one from a reputable dealer like the Birmingham accordion centre or take a chance on eBay?
The two accordions close to me are

and this frontalini

dunlustin

Prolific poster
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Two very common bits of advice are:
1: Old/Very old instruments are very unlikely to be a bargain especially for a beginner
and
2: If possible, buy used from a local professional who is able to offer tech' backup and comes recommended.

Glug

Site Supporter
Reaction score
You can get a bargain on ebay, but only really if you can try it in person.

Main issues to check are:
leaky bellows
All the keys work cleanly
All the buttons work cleanly
No smell of mould.
Register switches work.

I would tend to look for something from the late 50's or later (I'm fairly sure that Frontalini is not 70's):
Probably has rounded key ends.
Probably want 96 bass or more.
LMM is a decent register combination, you probably don't want LMH since MM will give the 'french' sound.

A reliable bet for accordions of that age is a used Hohner, but other fine Italian makes will be around.
Allegedly old Baille (Chinese) can be quite good (for the price).

I've also heard the the guy that runs Birmingham accordion centre is very friendly so it might be an idea to talk to him and try a few of his instruments to get an idea what you want. Doesn't mean you have to buy anything :)

godgi

Reaction score
I have never dealt with him.
I have phoned him re an accordion he was selling.
I am just wondering does he refurbish before resale or just resale - take it as it is scenario ie the risk is now yours.
I am trying to find out this as he has some nice accordions in stock at the moment.
I am now buying by the way.
Godgi