• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks

New member in Wales

David A

Reaction score
I've been 'lurking' here for so long I feel I know a lot of you already, so I thought it was about time I joined and said hello. I'm 65 and live near Carmarthen, in south west wales, UK.

I've been learning to play for the past five years or so. Progress is slow because I don't read quickly enough to play from a score and find it difficult to get the tunes into my head to play from memory. I was trying to keep up with the "tune a week" challenge but have fallen behind. Still, I have learned to (almost) play a few new tunes, perhaps I'll post a recording if I can make a reasonable one. I play a Giulietti Classic 37 PA (Zero-Sette make) and my current challenge is to get good enough to play with the band for a Welsh traditional dance group.

I enjoy reading all the threads and comments and listening to the pieces you all post. Maybe I'll have something to contribute too.

Glug

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hiya, welcome to the forum.

I've been finding musescore useful for practising pieces: free software at musescore.org, community at musescore.com.
I put the piece I'm learning into musescore on my local computer and then get it to play the bit I'm learning (LH, RH, or both together). I find it helps a lot with getting the rhythm.

Edit: That would probably help with the music reading too :)

Glug

Site Supporter
Reaction score
:) In musescore if you bring up the 'play panel' and mark the start and end of a section then pressing the space bar will stop play and then restart at the beginning of the section again.

Dingo40

Been here for ages!
Reaction score
Welcome David!
One of my favourite TV shows is Salvage Hunters compered by Drew Pritchard and centered in Conwy, Wales🙂

Last edited:

Tom

Been here for ages!
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Welcome Dave!