• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks

New member from Montana, USA

Siegmund

Reaction score
Greetings, all!

At the beginning of my accordion adventure here.
Longtime composer and violinist, coming to terms with the fact that I don't have quite the precision in my fingers that I once did to play a violin perfectly in tune. (This caused me to mostly-quit 10 years ago, and "trying to get it back" was mighty frustrating.)
I've decided to go the button route, given that I am no great shakes as a pianist, and even before I started losing flexibility I couldn't stretch more than a ninth - on a good day - on the piano. I am loving the idea of being able to span two octaves, and play the violin-like voicing of stacked fifths and sixths rather than the piano voicing of a third and a fifh if I want to, without having to strain at all.

Am glad to have stumbled on this forum after a long spell of wandering other internet message boards and getting no advice other than "go to your local music store and try some out": we don't have a lot of button players in this area and a 500-mile trip during a pandemic seemed unwise.

And yes I aim to be doing some composing and arranging for accordion too , as well as making squeaky noises in the privacy of my home all winter:)

Glug

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Welcome,
we're quite good at squeaky noises round here.

Tom

Been here for ages!
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Welcome Siegmund! Have you consideed the Roland fr1b? Small format digital button accordion with acfess to sounds for your composing. Good luck!

oldbayan

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Welcome, and yes, CBA is the way to go! :) I concur with Tom's suggestion of a Roland FR-1xb, small box with tons of possibilities, including free bass and keyboard layout choices. 37 (38 with B-griff) treble notes, which is almost what you get with a full size PA. The 72-bass is a bit on the minimalist side compared to the common 120-button Stradella, but since you are starting on the squeezebox, it should not be a problem.

JeffJetton

Reaction score
Welcome! You're the second new member from Montana in the past couple weeks.

Something going on up there we need to know about? :giggle:

Buttons

Reaction score
Welcome. Some good people here. You'll find it helpful and learning. All very respectful as are accordion players generally. I think I just about believe that.
M

Siegmund

Reaction score
I did (briefly) consider the Roland digital boxes... but ultimately decided the analog aspect was an essential part of why I would buy an instrument vs. just write music on the computer and convert midis to MP3s with software.

Not sure there is anything special happening in Montana just now -- just a lot of us who don't have very many neighbors and need ways to amuse ourselves when we can't travel the world :) In my case, this past summer I tried playing in a small community ensemble (on violin) before the delta variant hit, and got reminded both of how much I enjoyed playing live music, and of how far I had to go if I wanted to get my violin playing back.

And, hey, it is a money saver: the LAST time I got frustrated with the violin and decided to try a new activity instead, I got a private pilot certificate.

Valski

Reaction score
I did (briefly) consider the Roland digital boxes... but ultimately decided the analog aspect was an essential part of why I would buy an instrument vs. just write music on the computer and convert midis to MP3s with software.

Not sure there is anything special happening in Montana just now -- just a lot of us who don't have very many neighbors and need ways to amuse ourselves when we can't travel the world :) In my case, this past summer I tried playing in a small community ensemble (on violin) before the delta variant hit, and got reminded both of how much I enjoyed playing live music, and of how far I had to go if I wanted to get my violin playing back.

And, hey, it is a money saver: the LAST time I got frustrated with the violin and decided to try a new activity instead, I got a private pilot certificate.
Congratulations and welcome Siegmund,

Welcome to the forum, I have to agree with Tom about the small Roland accordion. I know that you have already purchased your instrument but I'm afraid that you may have overlooked some of the benefits of digital accordion. The first thing that comes to mind is your ability to "squeak" in silence while learning. Secondly you have a lot of versatility with digital regarding the sounds that you emit as well as the ability to change those sounds at the drop of a hat. Another thing that I really enjoy is the ability to transpose to a different key as required when collaborating with another musician or vocalist with a few quick key strokes.
For years I followed developments with digital technology before committing to my purchase because I wanted to ensure that the sound produced didn't sound like it was coming from a cheap keyboard and I am fully satisfied with my purchase. It's great fun to play with others however it's quite likely that you'll be playing solo and in that scenario the orchestral accompaniment will make you stand out. Acoustic is amazing however never discount digital.

cat

Reaction score
Greetings! I'm in Missoula - been playing (diatonic) button boxes for 10 years, PA for longer. Also a lifelong strings player - currently playing cello and hardanger fiddle, and some other stuff, but now at age 60 I'm finally realizing I can't do it all.

JeffJetton

Reaction score

Ha! Got my PP-ASEL myself many moons ago, although I haven't been current in a long time due to my adult brain struggling to justify the $$$.

I keep meaning to get back into it "one of these days" though. I'd imagine Montana is a wonderful place to fly!