• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

new battery info FR3, 4, etc. AA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ventura

Been here for ages!
Reaction score
hi

i wanted to share some info on a new twist for rechargeable AA batteries based on Lithium technology

first, the frustrating problem with traditional NiMh batteries has been the weakest cell in the pack dropping Voltage quickly, then the Roland accordions shut down because their voltage threshold is not met (though most of the batteries still have tons of power left)

this new type AA rechargeable uses a (natural 3.2 volt) Lithium cell with a tiny voltage regulator built into the AA form shell. These batteries give a full 1.5 volt output until depleted...

thats right, no more premature shutoffs and literally double the normal run time as lithium has a lot more reservoir capacity than nimh

of course, you need to substitute an 8 cell plastic battery holder in place of the factory 10 cell holder for the obvious reason that 1.2 volt NiMh cells need 10 cells to equal 12 volts nominally, while only 8 true 1.5 volt output batteries are needed to produce 12 volts

these new type batteries are reasonable in cost ,readily available from a number of brands on Amazon, and some come with (4 at a time) chargers some charge with any 5 volt usb cable individually

the built in regulators also regulate the charge cycle

these are a huge improvement, and i have been swapping between two sets of 8 batteries for a few months now with really great results

just wanted to share

ciao

Ventura

accordions shut down because their voltage threshold
I’m no longer taking my FR-4x out of tthe house, and I run it exclusively on the AC adapter, so I have no personal interest in alternative batteries. But. I’m curious about how hot those lithium cells fet while charging and while operating in the FR-4x. Do you have any data on that?

hi Alan

good luck with the hipbones stuff

the ones i use stay cool.. they have no trouble handling the necessary current flow

what suprised me is how normal they work in series !
the circuitry they came up with to pull off this trick of
"simulating" a traditional battery cell deserves a pat on the back
to whoever thought this up

they also have 9 volt form sized ones too, which i intend to
try a couple next time i need some fresh rechargeable 9's

ciao

Ventura

Good info, thanks Ventura!

Did you make your own plastic battery holder?

Hi, Ventura. do you know what mah rating they have? I saw some in a facebook ad but they only had a 1200 mah capacity. I'm guessing they need a special charger as well.

One of the major problems with the electronics industry is the charging systems and lithium batteries. Liability has become a big issue. So testing is of importance. I will not risk using any other types but the energizers…in recent history Line 6 had a problem with the g10 lithium batteries in the transmitters. Yes, there were only couple cases of overheating, but they responded with a software upgrade. Now they replaced the transmitters with the g10tii which I exchanged…imagine all those wireless systems with too good to be true prices?…have they gone under certified testing in these products?

Hi, Ventura. do you know what mah rating they have? I saw some in a facebook ad but they only had a 1200 mah capacity. I'm guessing they need a special charger as well.
hey cappy

we survived amother Winter !

looks like 3400 (and lasts like it too)

i got a pair of those to start with and really like the readout on the chargers,
then i bought 8 extra batteries a month later

they claim 1500 recharge cycles too, which could make these as long lived as the old NiCads
that would never quite die

ciao

Ventura

Good info, thanks Ventura!

Did you make your own plastic battery holder?
oh my God no !

actually i have always kept a few spares of most sizes in my shop,
puchasing from Surplus or sales at partsexpress.com when opportunity strikes

but Amazon has tons of course

ciao

Ventura

Reactions: Tom
One of the major problems with the electronics industry is the charging systems and lithium batteries. Liability has become a big issue. So testing is of importance. I will not risk using any other types but the energizers…in recent history Line 6 had a problem with the g10 lithium batteries in the transmitters. Yes, there were only couple cases of overheating, but they responded with a software upgrade. Now they replaced the transmitters with the g10tii which I exchanged…imagine all those wireless systems with too good to be true prices?…have they gone under certified testing in these products?
ummm... not talking about built in batteries or battery packs you would charge inside the instruments

talking (basically) about a SIMLATED AA carbon cell 1.5 volt battery that is actually a 3.2 volt lithium cell with a tiny voltage regulator for output and a tiny charge controller for input

not unlike the first lipstick shaped external cell phone battery boosters, just smaller, more sophisticated, and specific to this simulation

and no real Pro Musician would have ever wasted money on wireless equipment that couldn't swap out a battery in the middle of a gig

ciao

Ventura

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back