• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

New Accordionist

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeremyh

Reaction score
I just thought I would check in.

I have played the mandolin for a while but picked up an accordion in October to see if I get on with it. Mandolinists all have volume envy when it comes to accordions. The accordion is a Frisco 120 bass, I am not sure how old but the styling looks sixties.

I am enjoying it quite a lot at the moment, just being able to sustain a note is a bonus, never mind the left hand. Currently I am learning from the Liberty Bellows site and Karen Tweed's Absolute Beginners book. Karen's book suits me particularly well for now as I play a lot of UK folk and that's what the tunes in there are, so I know a lot of them already.

One other thing that helps is that our community band has a Monday Whatsapp meetup where we post ourselves playing tunes, this provides an incentive to progress (and means you can have lots of goes recording the tune):)

I just thought I would check in.

I have played the mandolin for a while but picked up an accordion in October to see if I get on with it. Mandolinists all have volume envy when it comes to accordions. The accordion is a Frisco 120 bass, I am not sure how old but the styling looks sixties.

I am enjoying it quite a lot at the moment, just being able to sustain a note is a bonus, never mind the left hand. Currently I am learning from the Liberty Bellows site and Karen Tweed's Absolute Beginners book. Karen's book suits me particularly well for now as I play a lot of UK folk and that's what the tunes in there are, so I know a lot of them already.

One other thing that helps is that our community band has a Monday Whatsapp meetup where we post ourselves playing tunes, this provides an incentive to progress (and means you can have lots of goes recording the tune):)
Welcome Jeremy. You've come to the right place. There are quite a few of us here in Essex so you're not alone ☺️ , though folk isn't my personal thing, I'm sure there will be other like minded folkies :unsure:

Welcome Jeremy!

Welcome Jeremy!?
When I was choosing an instrument to play, I first tried guitar.
I found holding down the strings played hell with my left hand fingertips.
I then went for piano accordion because:
•I liked the sound.
•It was portable.
•I didn't need to retune it constantly.
•It was kind to my hands.
•It was independent of a power source.
•It had melody and accompaniment in one instrument.
•I could access a teacher close by.
•A huge amount of music scored for the instrument was readily available.

I'm sure you'll be pleased with it!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back