• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Need help identifying Borsini model

sbeaupre

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm hoping someone can help identify a Borsini accordion. It has the "Product of Borsini Bros Castelfidardo (Italy)" plate on the back, and the model/name appears to be "Veritone" - but I'm unable to find any references to Borsini Veritone when I conduct an online search. It's red, has piano keys, red leather strap, and includes what I would describe as an "alligator" style case. It looks to be in really nice condition, but I'm not sure what to look for. I purchased it about 30 years ago out of barn sale in Maine. It was so beautiful, I couldn't pass it up. But other than occasionally opening the case, it hasn't been played in the 30 years I've owned it.

I can't seem to find a serial number.

Any information on this model, including vintage and value, would be greatly appreciated. I can reply w/ photos if that helps.

Steve

Photo's will help with models of 50+ years old.

Photo's will help with models of 50+ years old.
… given that it has spent 30 years in its case, and particularly if the accordion was actually stored in the barn prior to that (and not just sold from it) the prognosis is not good.

Thanks for the replies. I've attached a few photos. The barn reference was probably misleading. It was an antique/thrift shop on the coast of Maine. Items were in the barn next to the house, but it appeared they were placed/displayed there for sale. As I said, it looks to be in very nice shape, but I'm not sure what to look for. Any guidance on the model, year, and likely value, would be greatly appreciated - thanks, Steve

Attachments

• IMG_0709.jpeg
    IMG_0709.jpeg
    660 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_0710.jpeg
    IMG_0710.jpeg
    493.9 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0712.jpeg
    IMG_0712.jpeg
    533.6 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0715.jpeg
    IMG_0715.jpeg
    645.9 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0716.jpeg
    IMG_0716.jpeg
    516.6 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_0717.jpeg
    IMG_0717.jpeg
    461.5 KB · Views: 34
Hi all,

I'm hoping someone can help identify a Borsini accordion. It has the "Product of Borsini Bros Castelfidardo (Italy)" plate on the back, and the model/name appears to be "Veritone" - but I'm unable to find any references to Borsini Veritone when I conduct an online search. It's red, has piano keys, red leather strap, and includes what I would describe as an "alligator" style case. It looks to be in really nice condition, but I'm not sure what to look for. I purchased it about 30 years ago out of barn sale in Maine. It was so beautiful, I couldn't pass it up. But other than occasionally opening the case, it hasn't been played in the 30 years I've owned it.

I can't seem to find a serial number.

Any information on this model, including vintage and value, would be greatly appreciated. I can reply w/ photos if that helps.

Steve
Welcome Steve,

Your accordion is likely from the 1960's judging from the photos. I've owned a couple of similar vintage judging by the straps, bellows snaps and decorations. The register switches appear to indicate a basic student model because it looks like two reed blocks on the treble side. The case is pretty standard for the era in which it was built. It has a palm switch and bass couplers so it's a basic accordion dressed up to look more expensive. The inside of the accordion is the most important consideration because any instrument which has not been played for more than thirty years is likely to have issues that require extensive and expensive repairs.

In top playable condition you shouldn't expect to receive more than $200. Hopefully you didn't spend spend too much purchasing the accordion. In my opinion people see something older and equate the item with a high value. In autos a 1966 Dodge Dart with the basic engine and transmission was cheap to purchase and because so many were made they're not super scarce so won't be worth as much as a high price limited edition vehicle so they won't command a record price. 😉

it is really sharp looking, and sadly it is a prime example of the worst
of the predatory marketing that ran rampant through some of the
accordion "mill" teaching schools era

7 shifts on an accordion that legit only needs 3

the mute is ridiculous.. like any kid taking lessons would practice
for more than a minute silent, and it is not marketed to an
intermediate student because they would have been smart enough to
know 2 reeds are for beginners (and very gullible parents who have
been hyped up with slyly disguised "sell up" sales pitches disguised
as glowing reports on their musically gifted child)

assuming an intermediate student might have enough self
discipline to actually practice without sound.. and of course
one could just leave the bellows strap clipped on

a beautiful relic, unlikely to be better than any other beginners
accordion to play, but fun to see it under the lights !

Thanks for the expert advice. It sounds like if I were to try to sell it, I could legitimately describe it as a 60's Borsini student-level model and ask somewhere in the vicinity of $100-200. I believe I paid around $50 thirty years ago. - Steve

Borsini has made mediocre & high quality accordions for many years now. They have & made some of the finest pro-accordions
with their name (badge) and other high quality models such as Bell & Modern . During the so called "Golden Age
Of Accordions" they had a student accordion model line for export accordions to US dealers with many different
badges. his one is a very clean 50's model that depending on interior condition can fetch $200 to $300 USD.

Borsini has made mediocre & high quality accordions for many years now. They have & made some of the finest pro-accordions
with their name (badge) and other high quality models such as Bell & Modern . During the so called "Golden Age
Of Accordions" they had a student accordion model line for export accordions to US dealers with many different
badges. his one is a very clean 50's model that depending on interior condition can fetch $200 to $300 USD.

Thanks, Jim - So you're estimating it's a 50s model, rather than the 60s? It's remarkably clean for an instrument that's 60+ years old. Of course I'm not able to really inspect it - is it in tune, etc. - but someone who may be interested will likely know pretty quickly. Thanks!

Back