• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks

My wife gave me this years ago. Has my name on it. What is it?

DavidShadlen

Reaction score
I played around with this piece until the strap broke so I took it apart to fix it, then discovered the straps were out of stock for months. Now I've lost the cover screws and there's a part rattling around inside. I'd like to get it back together and know what I've got.

Can anyone help me? I know nothing, I'm a guitar player and yes, my name is David

btw, it cleaned up pretty well

Attachments

• sm1.jpg
    sm1.jpg
    724.1 KB · Views: 40
  • sm5.jpg
    sm5.jpg
    738 KB · Views: 39
  • sm4.jpg
    sm4.jpg
    784 KB · Views: 39
  • sm3.jpg
    sm3.jpg
    734.2 KB · Views: 41
  • sm2.jpg
    sm2.jpg
    847.9 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:

JIM D.

Been here for ages!
Technical Adviser
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You have a 30's to mid 40's box -- I suggest you read this ---

Last edited:

Dingo40

Been here for ages!
Reaction score
David,
Don't give up just yet: tell us some more about your accordion.
For example, are the bellows sound or leaky? Do all the right hand notes sound ? How many are not sounding? What about the left hand buttons? I can see that the bass mechanism appears to be jammed. This may be fixable too.
Do the couplers (switches on the grill) work?
I, personally, have an I. Busilacchio "Challenge " of a similar vintage which I have had restored to good, practical working order (by local accordion technicians) and it's now my favourite go to instrument ( of eight).
It truly was a wreck when I found it at a lawn sale)!😄
The rattling inside could be a detached or broken off reed: fixable!🙂
Bass side straps are fairly standard and replaceable!🙂
A lot depends on how closely you live to a technician!
PS: I see you're from NY, so finding a technician shouldn't be a major problem!🙂👍
PPS: An old-school technician should be able to replace any missing screws out of their stock of accumulated bits and pieces!🙂
To my eye, yous appears to be in pretty good cosmetic condition.🙂

Last edited:

DavidShadlen

Reaction score
Thanks for that info and encouragement. I'll spend some more time with it soon and report back. I can't say i have a lot to put into it but maybe a bit. I'll need to really take a hard look to answer these questions...I really know nothing about these instruments. I just like the sound they make and their crazy complexity

Glug

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Or if you're any good at DIY you can fix it yourself probably.
Most of it isn't that hard to fix, it just depends what the issues are.

Dingo40

Been here for ages!
Reaction score
David,
It is a " full sized " piano accordion (41 treble notes and 120 bass buttons)
There's are " fuller " piano accordions with more treble keys and bass buttons than this, but they are specialty items.
My estimate of your accordion's age would be somewhere in the very late 1940s to early 1950s (the press-plunger attachment catch of the grill, the rounded bellows (and all other) corners and the ribbed bellows tape are1950ish.
The waterfall keys are a late 40s vintage, as is the way the bass buttons are set directly into the the left hand box, exposed and not recessed.
It possibly has two treble reed sets (three at most).
Even so, they would produce a pleasingly "accordion" sound. ( Often, the more reeds the muddier🙂)
Many, relatively "cheaper " models of this vintage were well made of good materials: much more robust than equivalent models of today 🙂

Last edited: