• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

My second arrangement on the 12 bass..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Q

QuaverRest

Here is my second arrangement on my new 12 bass :)

As you can see, Im still finding my feet :p but Im having fun!

Maybe it is easier to let the bellows fall naturally downwards when pulling insted of pulling straight out. Like he explains from 5:41 in this video Just a tip, Im no expert myself.

On that subject, I've been getting quite sharp pains around the ligaments at the base of the 1st metacarpal on my left wrist, near the 'anatomical snuff box'. I must be using incorrect technique. I'll start by doing as you suggest, and see if it clears up :)

*edit - watching that back I can see I'm supporting all of the weight by not allowing it to drop naturally, no wonder my wrist was hurting!! Thanks again!!

Good job!
Couple of things to go with barkis on placement.

Looks like you could do with shifting the accordion left more. The keyboard needs to be closer to under your chin. (think of it as a tie)
Try to keep your right wrist a little straighter with your right elbow out a little farther.
As to the wrist hurting, it may be that you do not have your hand in far enough. When I play my wrist is clear in and the pad of my palm is almost at the top edge of the box.
Make sure the strap is tight.
Remember that for the outward motion of the bellows to let gravity do most of the work. To go along with that when you play sitting make sure you are not supporting the bass side with any part of your body. (it should fall naturally to the floor without your hand in the strap)

HTH
Ben

I've followed your advice and my wrist pain is no more! Thank you very much indeed :) :)

You might even need to lengthen the right strap with a shoelace (First thing Les taught me, and have done it on all my accordions) you seem to have it quite high up, which often happens with the little ones as the straps are usually quite short, might be much more comfortable a bit looser and lower down, and yeah, a bit to the left so the keyboard is more central. Apparently the black keys should be in line with your chin
That particular rule I find difficult to stick to with larger accordions though, and have to compromise a little to account for weight, but that should be more comfortable and free up your right arm significantly.
Pay attention to your shoulders too, you don't want to be having to tense them up to play or to support it, the box should just sit comfortably in the right position. Always keep adjusting till it feels just right
Nag, nag. sorry! :lol: :tup:

And not bad btw! Seem to be getting the overall feel of it pretty quickly, which is probably the most important thing with an accordion {} :ch

Dog collars also work well for lengthening straps.
They have saved me buying two sets of straps on one of mine. There is a lot of difference between my left and right strap.
Glad to here it helped.
One thing I really want to emphasise is to listen to your body and not ignore it and think you will get used to it. Try little adjustments to fix pains. Always watch your posture.
Trust me when I say that you can really screw yourself up by playing incorrectly.
Ben

Get this habit forming now: Don't change bellows direction mid-phrase and/or, even more noticeable, with you finger on a key... it'll sound soooo much better while you're still only playing the same notes.. :)
Yes, it's a challenge with small bellows and long phrases...
nag, nag, nag...

Thank you soulsaver! Please could you tell that to my girlfriend..? All I get from here is either giggling or a sigh...

Dont worry until you get to silent dinners..

Or hearing - "Not Now, I have a Headache!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back