• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks

My Scandalli is being despatched

Beemer

Reaction score
After a six month wait I have just had an email from Scandalli in Castelfidardo that my Air IIIT 37/120 LMMM is being despatched tomorrow. Every day that passed since 7th Dec has increased my longing to get my hands on this instrument. I could have bought the same model, but with blue sparkle and Mano reeds off the shelf but that would have increased the price by £500 to £7000. Apart from the extra money I don't think the blue celluloid with sparkle is appropriate for me an accordion beginner! All I need now is a transport or customs strike to kibosh my forthcoming pleasure!

Beemer

Reaction score
Five years ago when I was 70, I had a spine operation that removed some bone to relieve disc pressure on my spinal cord. It was a long recovery and I never would have considered buying an accordion but the pain is now gone from my mind and so I bought one that is only 9.8kg. Interestingly, someone in Ayrshire is currently selling an accordion stand. I might have considered buying it, but that it would remind me of the time I had to use two walking sticks for support.
So now at my 75 years, I have the full ten books of the Palmer-Hughes PA course. The books even the higher level ones are deceptive as I already play piano at ABRSM grade five, but no doubt I will be brought down to Earth quite soon :eek:

Beemer

Reaction score
My new Scandalli Air IIIT 37/120 LMMM is finally with me. As a gesture to compensate for the five month wait Scandalli also supplied me with a robust Cordura soft back-pack case in addition to the standard hard case. The Air III is 9.8kg and I find that weight very acceptable. The tipo a mano reeds are custom 15-0-15 cents, which is what I wanted. I bought the accordion from Accordionsdirect.com who are the Scandalli UK sole distributors. I have no commercial links to this company but mention them just to say that I have had great friendly service. They are also the manufacturers and installers of MidiRig accordion midi systems.

Attachments

• DSC_1939-2.jpg
    DSC_1939-2.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 24
  • DSC_1940-2.jpg
    DSC_1940-2.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 24
  • DSC_1941-2.jpg
    DSC_1941-2.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 24

debra

Been here for ages!
Technical Adviser
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Congrats! It's a beauty. Not sure why you would want a 37/120 because when you need just 37 keys you normally get 96 bass buttons which is more than enough. Could have saved just a bit extra on the weight. I guess the 15-0-15 will work well in Scotland. Sounds too wet for my taste (I prefer 8-0-8, but am fine with 10-0-10 and 12-0-12 is my absolute max.

Beemer

Reaction score
Congrats! It's a beauty. Not sure why you would want a 37/120 because when you need just 37 keys you normally get 96 bass buttons which is more than enough. Could have saved just a bit extra on the weight. I guess the 15-0-15 will work well in Scotland. Sounds too wet for my taste (I prefer 8-0-8, but am fine with 10-0-10 and 12-0-12 is my absolute max.
Paul,
The Air III is not available in 37/96. Their other models that are, are full size (weight is an issue for me at my 75 years) and do not have cassotto. The Air 1 and II do have 37/96 but lower class reeds. I'm sure you are aware that some Scots accordionists and perhaps also Irish play 25-0-25 cents. Now that is too wide for my ears!

debra

Been here for ages!
Technical Adviser
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Paul,
The Air III is not available in 37/96. Their other models that are, are full size (weight is an issue for me at my 75 years) and do not have cassotto. The Air 1 and II do have 37/96 but lower class reeds. I'm sure you are aware that some Scots accordionists and perhaps also Irish play 25-0-25 cents. Now that is too wide for my ears!
Good to know about that (un)availability. I know some Scots try to beat the Amsterdam tuning by having even more tremolo... But typically such accordions offer only M, MM that's 0 and tremolo and MMM, and not the MM that's the - and + reeds. I have seen this called "musette vivace" (on an Excelsior for instance). With -25 and 25 that's not tremolo, it is just "really badly out of tune". I think I can tolerate the 15-0-15 but probably not the MM with -15 and +15 (without the 0 playing as well). But yeah, Scottish (and Amsterdam) tuning is very very wet.

Walker

Accordionist
Reaction score
Back in the olden days French musette used to be a very strong tuning at times. Seems Scotland, Northern Italy and Amsterdam are the last strongholds of the 'full' musette. I quite like +/-18 cent musette, but others with more traditional tastes will find this too mild in my neck of the woods.