• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks

My first accordion composition

Neil Thornock

Reaction score
Hi everyone, recent lurker here...

I've written little things here and there, but this is the first "real" piece I've written for accordion. I recorded it in the main atrium of the building I work at, which is due for demolition in just a few months. The acoustic is so wonderful I couldn't let the opportunity pass me by. Not the best accordion (or the best player!), but that acoustic though ...

Edit: Here is the score for any interested.

Last edited:

saundersbp

Site Supporter
Reaction score
I've written little things here and there, but this is the first "real" piece I've written for accordion. I recorded it in the main atrium of the building I work at, which is due for demolition in just a few months. The acoustic is so wonderful I couldn't let the opportunity pass me by. Not the best accordion (or the best player!), but that acoustic though ...

This is fantastic!
I was transported to a Parisian church when listening, like a prelude before the service. I work in a job where so many 'composers' send their pieces and you can develop a siege mentality with these offerings, however this piece is great, spiritual and has something to say.

If it's not too hard a score I'd be glad to give it an airing in the UK.

godgi

Reaction score
Sounds like a piece I have by Tito Guidotti called Modern Fantasy. Thanks for sharing a great resource. I would love a copy of the score if you are willing.
Godgi

Neil Thornock

Reaction score
This is fantastic!
I was transported to a Parisian church when listening, like a prelude before the service. I work in a job where so many 'composers' send their pieces and you can develop a siege mentality with these offerings, however this piece is great, spiritual and has something to say.

If it's not too hard a score I'd be glad to give it an airing in the UK.
Haha, yes, I totally get the siege mentality! Thank you for your kind and warm words. I've edited the post above and included a link to the score. Let me know if there's a problem with permissions. I'd be honored by an airing in the UK.

very nice
Thank you!

Sounds like a piece I have by Tito Guidotti called Modern Fantasy. Thanks for sharing a great resource. I would love a copy of the score if you are willing.
Godgi
Thanks so much. See my edit in the original post for a link to the score. Any place I might hear this piece by Guidotti?

debra

Been here for ages!
Technical Adviser
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Very nice composition, play and indeed the acoustics! Nothing beats the acoustics of a large hall.
When I make recordings it's in a pretty dead small room and the computer has to add the acoustics of a large room and it's just not the same as the real thing!

saundersbp

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Haha, yes, I totally get the siege mentality! Thank you for your kind and warm words. I've edited the post above and included a link to the score. Let me know if there's a problem with permissions. I'd be honored by an airing in the UK.

Thanks so much for sharing the score - its very well written indeed. If you don't mind, I'd be happy to draw attention to it with some of the accordion friends I have in UK that have performance careers. They might be interested in performing it in a context it deserves!

Walker

Reaction score
Nice work @Neil Thornock, I really enjoyed the piece Moon-kiss'd Conifers. It was abstract but stylish. It captures something of the serenity and ethereal quality of the moonlight falling on the inky-green pines. The technique of playing subtle stradella chord combinations throughout, added texture, light and shade to the music - simple and effective. Keep writing for accordion Neil, it's important - we need more composers.(y)

Last edited:

godgi

Reaction score
Tredwell music in Winnipeg Canada has an archive resource of accordion music. He has a few of Tito Guidotti pieces but I doubt if a recording of Modern Fantacy exits. It's described as a Tone Poem on my old copy. It just triggered a memory of Tito's piece when I heard yours piece. In reality it's just my imagination linking things.
Godgi

Johnny

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Wonderful! Thanks for sharing your performance -- and the score! Feeling calm and cooler after listening. Btw, love the name, too.🌲 🌜

Neil Thornock

Reaction score
Very nice composition, play and indeed the acoustics! Nothing beats the acoustics of a large hall.
When I make recordings it's in a pretty dead small room and the computer has to add the acoustics of a large room and it's just not the same as the real thing!
I hear you. I'm normally playing in my office in the music/arts building on campus and it's the most dead room I'm ever in (!!), moreso than my little home.

Thanks so much for sharing the score - its very well written indeed. If you don't mind, I'd be happy to draw attention to it with some of the accordion friends I have in UK that have performance careers. They might be interested in performing it in a context it deserves!
Yes of course! That would be lovely!

Keep writing for accordion Neil, it's important - we need more composers.(y)
Thanks for the encouragement, will do ... although I also need to learn to play the instrument proper like :)

Walker

Reaction score
You play well already, in a very cool avant-garde style. There is more than one way to play an accordion and you are finding nice ways to soften the edges of the pre-set stradella chords. There's plenty of time for Palmer Hughes later 😁. You should write your own method!

saundersbp

Site Supporter
Reaction score
You play well already, in a very cool avant-garde

I've shared your lovely piece with a few people and comments have been how original it is with respectful nods to Messaien, Durufle and Alain. Do you know the piece Le Jardin Suspendu by Alain? I think you've done the accordion equivalent - which is a great compliment!

Last edited:

Neil Thornock

Reaction score
I've shared your lovely piece with a few people and comments have been how original it is with respectful nods to Messaien, Durufle and Alain. Do you know the piece Le Jardin Suspendu by Alain? I think you've done the accordion equivalent - which is a great compliment!
Thank you, that is encouraging and humbling. I played some Alain (Litanies) on my sophomore organ recital 25 years ago or so. Such wonderful music!

saundersbp

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thank you, that is encouraging and humbling. I played some Alain (Litanies) on my sophomore organ recital 25 years ago or so. Such wonderful music!
I downloaded the pdf of your wonderful piece to take on holiday to the Alps and learn. I've just started it today and enjoying it immensely. You have a hit!