• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

My father’s accordion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hi! This accordion has been around my house since I was a kid and my Dad just gifted it to me. I’d love to know more about it. I believe he got it new when he was a kid, almost 50 years ago (can’t confirm it was new). I’m assuming it’s not fancy, since they didn’t have much money, but it’s in nearly perfect shape and sounds great. There’s no way I would ever sell it (sentimental value), but I’d love to know if it’s worth anything so I can decide if I let my kids play around with it or try to keep it pristine. Any info appreciated!!

Attachments

• 65305977-59EF-415B-98F8-AFC9C8875B26.jpeg
    65305977-59EF-415B-98F8-AFC9C8875B26.jpeg
    371.9 KB · Views: 48
  • 32206B30-20F2-4CBF-B880-35D72C1F77D1.jpeg
    32206B30-20F2-4CBF-B880-35D72C1F77D1.jpeg
    395 KB · Views: 48
  • E7D27843-CFC5-4D92-8248-E869EDF2ACDA.jpeg
    E7D27843-CFC5-4D92-8248-E869EDF2ACDA.jpeg
    397.6 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
It's probably from the late 50s early 60s.
The name "Spartan " probably is indicative of the maker's underlying idea behind this model: no frills!?
It probably has a middle and a low reed in the treble and a similar two reed set in the bass.
It's likely quite well made for its price .
Covered in celluloid ( keep well clear of hot spots like radiators and open fires, or it will frizzle)
This accordion is quite enough to take one a long way into (amateur) accordion playing , without being fancy or expensive.??

Last edited:
It's probably from the late 50s early 60s.
The name "Spartan " probably is indicative of the maker's underlying idea behind this model: no frills!?
It probably has a middle and a low reed in the treble and a similar two reed set in the bass.
It's likely quite well made for its price .
Covered in celluloid ( keep well of hot spots like radiators and open fires, or it will frizzle)
This accordion is quite enough to take one a long way into (amateur) accordion playing , without being fancy or expensive.??
Thanks, super helpful! Really appreciated.

I agree with Dingo, a nice looking accordion. Based on it's shape and your location, I'm estimating $250 - 500 range

Thanks! This is well in the range of “let the kids play!” ?
I remember the Harp (the one the Angels play - not the mouthorgan ) teacher telling my parents to buy the very best instrument that they could get for my sister, who she was teaching.
Her reasoning was that having a decent quality instrument would be far more encouraging and engaging than a mediocre 'learners' one.
It worked with my sister - she became a very successful classical concert player.

I remember the Harp (the one the Angels play - not the mouthorgan ) teacher telling my parents to buy the very best instrument that they could get for my sister, who she was teaching.
Her reasoning was that having a decent quality instrument would be far more encouraging and engaging than a mediocre 'learners' one.
It worked with my sister - she became a very successful classical concert player.
You know, that was true for me too. I had a guitar when I was a kid and rarely practiced, but one day my parents got me a really nice guitar that I absolutely loved and I played it all the time and still do.

Has anyone noticed that the register markings are completely up-side-down? Registers are meant to be viewed from the position of an accordionist playing them, and when playing this one, the words are upside down... lol

It's not a deal breaker, just really odd. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back