• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks

Musical Color

WaldoW

Reaction score
I just got off a u-tube adventure in which I came across Mark Knopfler talking about his various guitars and the little "accents" that, to me anyway, make good music GREAT. On guitar, such would be bending strings, hammering on (the fretboard), plucking w/left hand, sliding up & down the fretboard, etc.
While we accordionists are more restricted in such endeavors than guitarists, there must be some tricks available to spice things up. How the bellows is handled is certainly one of them, but, is that all there is? Are there other avenues that aren't as obvious? How about button manipulation/use techniques or whatever [not a lot of options that I see].
Waldo

W

wout

Hello! Theres something called pitchbending: <YOUTUBE id=ai_ZqU4LhI4 url=></YOUTUBE> Its tricky but fun to add in Your music.

H

Howie

What a coincidence that you posted one of David's videos, wout. I was thinking of mentioning advanced chording, which David has a couple youtubes on. Not sure if it qualifies as musical colour, but it can certainly take the accordion to a level beyond what our ears expect to hear.

WaldoW

Reaction score
Thanks for those posts. I encountered this vid a year ago when I was first searching for How To vids for CBA [which is my inst.]. I attempted it several times, but gave up as my buttons didn't allow the control to close the pallett correctly. I have since changed accordions [different button design which may work], This is just the kind of thing I'm looking for with this thread. Where there is a will, there is a way, I always say, and I will work on a technique for CBA.
Please keep 'em coming.

george garside

Prolific poster
Reaction score
not sure what is meant by 'musical colour' can anybody define it so we know exactly what we should include in a discussion on it? Is it the same as 'musical expression''? if not whats the difference??
george :?

W

wout

<YOUTUBE id=yf4OzUzbaAg url=></YOUTUBE> around 3:00 she gives a solo with pitch bending on a button accordion luckily Its zoomed on her fingers so you can copy This technique. I use This technique as well on PA Its a bit quicker to do This than wiggling You thumb under a key :b

losthobos

Prolific poster
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have an old Be Bop accordion sheet music that describes how to achieve many horn techniques by different bellow motions....should study it really...found difficult to interpret without audio examples...will try and photo and copy a couple here sometime

hais1273

Reaction score
Thoroughly enjoyed the clip, I was kind of swept away by the music and had to go back to the "pitchbend", Slick technique isn't it? This clip answered my question of where and, um, why?

H

Howie

Yes, fabulous stuff. Such accomplished playing from all of them. I was struck by the effortless expression she brought to the music, it just flowed beautifully.

W

wout

Yes she is amazing can only recommend listening more by her she also plays in a band called karuna :)

WaldoW

Reaction score
I listened thru the above vid several times, and the only pitch bend/change I heard was at the very end of one note at 3:25-26, and then only fleetingly. Like a little flip at the end of the note. While not meeting my definition of bending [mostly just volume change], it does meet the definition of the subject matter of the thread, Musical Color.
Im going to try another definition for M/C: Technique applied to a musical score which changes the flavor of the tune, without changing the notes.
Ex: A guitarist plays an 8 note run. All notes could be played according to the score in straightforward pitches. OR, the player could play the first 2 notes, bend the 3rd note up to the 4th, hammer on the 5th, slide down to the 6th and then litely mute the 7th & 8th. All the notes are still there, all being played with the same timing. The difference being the perceived color of the piece. Put an amateur guitarist against one as described above and the difference is dramatic, and enjoyable. This is all accomplished without changing the arrangement. The example in the vid is one such technique. Id like to generate a quiver full of these, thus the thread.
Ill add one: Ive been working on a same pitch twiddle. [Twiddle; back and forth on two buttons as fast as possible, constant bellows pressure]. This is a problem on a single pitch. So, Ive been going back and forth on the two same notes [say, C on row one and C on row 4]. Its not easy as the alternate button is depressed with the first, and if you leave the 2ed finger in place, there is no twiddle as the buttons are both depressed a once. What Im working on is holding above the 2 buttons without touching them, then twiddling. Its not easy, but sometimes I get it right, to good effect.
Geo., Im thinking we are probably talking the same thing. Both color and expression would need to originate with the artist [thus artist]. Its that expression, or color, I am seeking. Rather, the techniques to express [expression] said color. [Am I chasing my tail, here?] Im hoping for tricks outside the incorpation of bellows technique. Slapping the sound box would qualify.