• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Missing key on Silvio Soprani late 40's accordion

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

cmooradian

Hi friends! Its been a while since I posted here.

So, Ive had my Silvio Soprani for a number of years, it was my first accordion (pawnshop find when I was in high school). It was also my first repair project.
Im not particularly attached to this accordion, but as it is my first real repair project, which has amounted to a total overhaul, and as Ive had to redo repairs two or three times to get them exactly right, Id like to see my work someday completed, haha. Anyway, after three attempts at finding the right sized keyboard axle, I finally got the right size last night. Somehow, between taking the old, bent axle out and putting the new axle in, I misplaced the middle C key (key #20). Ive looked everywhere. Under the work table, behind the radiator, anywhere it couldve fallen. I cant find it.

Does anyone have any recommendations? Should I just replace the one key with one very similar in size and adjust the key rod? Ill provide pictures when I get home from work.
The original keytops have aged very well and are now a beautiful ivory color. I would hate to have to replace all of the keytops with brand new white, plastic ones if the replacement is a different color... :cry: Excuse the venting.

Well, the most satisfying result would be if you found that missing key, as it is going to be near impossible to find another one that is coloured and textured exactly the same. That said, this is a low cost accordion and not one that you are particularly attached to, so you could use basically any key that fits in there.

It cannot really have disappeared and it is large enough to turn up at some point. So you will eventually find it.
Replacing the key is not really an option as you won't find an identical key anywhere.

But even if you don't find it you have learned an important lesson in accordion repair: carefully lay out everything you take out of the accordion so that you are certain you can put it all back!

Yes, I've learned that lesson a few times over the last few years.

cmooradian said:
Yes, Ive learned that lesson a few times over the last few years.
What do you mean a few times?? :lol:

I lose things all the time, but never for long. I try to always place things not just in ways that they came out in, but I clean off a small area and take lots of pictures. This method has saved me many times, especially when taking apart laptops down to the bare screws, and you might know how many hundreds of tiny pieces are in the average modern laptop. The best feeling in the world is after assembly, and there are no spare parts... lol

I hope it turns up, because even if you found the same accordion with the same key it still most likely will not fit. There are so many subtle differences and the smallest changes in accordions. It probably cannot just be replaced. Someday when you least expect it...

If you can post a pic of another key I might have a arm part that you could make a key out of. I have a lot of random key I have collected.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back