• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

MIDI Connection and operation

Status
Not open for further replies.

torch

Reaction score
I thought it would be better to start a new thread with the following post for future reference.

torch wrote: ↑Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:01 pm
Yes, velocity, expression (cc#11) are all part of the MIDI protocol, but you can manipulate MIDI data to accomplish what you want to do. For instance, change basic accordion midi channel 1 for the treble, channel 2 for the chord, and ch 3 for the bass all to channel 1 so that all the notes you play on the treble, chord, and bass are transmitted on midi channel 1. That takes some kind of "translation" or conversion. This can be very useful when playing split patches in keyboards/synths from an accordion.

----------------------------------
post by Keymn
Little much for me to grasp, but I will study what you said. I have a great interest in this.

A little disappointed in the BK-7M. There is no program setting for the pedal for One Touch 1-4, Just UP1/2, as far as I know.

Another item, Roland LA, Said the Vaccordions Register buttons do not send out a midi message? Not sure why? It would be a good thing! Am I wrong?

Programmed the accordion top row bass buttons to trigger Ending, Variation 1-4 on the Bk-7m.
I need the BK-7m to be triggered quickly on my shows, no time to fiddle with program settings! No problem with the Korg!
-----------------------------------------
Believe me what I said sounds complicated, but it is not. I checked the BK7m manual, and yes it is a shame that you can not program One Touch to a foot pedal. Speaking of Korg, I have a KMA. I think it is discontinued. I picked up a factory certified unit for $345. That thing sounds good, and very very capable and flexible. I am very impressed with its OS. You can assign so many things to a midi foot pedal via program change messages. The manual is so well written. That's one of the benefits dealing with a big company.

Oh, to answer your question, each register switch on the Roland sends more than a single midi message. I think the midi implementation on the V accordion is better than just about any other midi accordion out there. Once again, Roland being a big company has very good manuals for their accordions though they are made in Italy. I have a Ketron SD40. Very good sounds and versatile. The manual? It is a joke. It is more like a two page pamphlet. The US distributor AJ wrote a manual - a job that should have been done by Ketron, and from what I hear Ketron has not compensated the US distributor.

Going back to the bank register buttons on the FR4x. On another thread, we were discussing on how to use the IPad Songbook+ to set a bank/register/program on the FR4x. Had a thought, if each register bank switch receives a particular message, wouldn’t they send the same control message. Here is the link of this article I placed months ago.

https://baumsoftware.freshdesk.com/...configure-roland-bk-7m-for-use-with-songbook-

https://baumsoftware.freshdesk.com/...land-fr-4x-v-accordion-for-use-with-songbook-

I have asked about this again with Roland, regards to, One touch on Bk and the register buttons on accordion midi tx, rx.. Probably get the same answer? Can’t be done! If these units had the Bluetooth LE built in like their pianos, this would put them over the top! Genos has it, but I think it is wireless LAN? Didn’t Roland have some kind of wireless lan too USB, out several years?
http://www.baum-software.ch/downloads/OtherManuals/Manual_Yamaha_Genos_SongBook.pdf

I don't think the 4x sends out the incoming CC messages.

torch post_id=61389 time=1532455126 user_id=421 said:
I dont think the 4x sends out the incoming CC messages.
I will to try this with fr4x, udbt01 and Songbook+. It sends and receives performance numbers on bk-7m...

I connected the UDBT01 to the 4x. Incoming CC messages are not routed to MIDI Out, and it shouldn't. I used the MIDI Designer in my iPad to send PC and CC messages and a free MIDI utility app for Windows MIDI-OX to monitor any data coming out from the 4x MIDI out. It should be this way - any messages to control functions/sounds in the 4x should not repeat in the midi out.

When viewing MIDI OX, be sure to filter out expression and Active Sensing so that the screen doesn't keep scrolling.

torch post_id=61400 time=1532493486 user_id=421 said:
I connected the UDBT01 to the 4x. Incoming CC messages are not routed to MIDI Out, and it shouldnt. I used the MIDI Designer in my iPad to send PC and CC messages and a free MIDI utility app for Windows MIDI-OX to monitor any data coming out from the 4x MIDI out. It should be this way - any messages to control functions/sounds in the 4x should not repeat in the midi out.

When viewing MIDI OX, be sure to filter out expression and Active Sensing so that the screen doesnt keep scrolling.

The one touch on the bk-7m sends out system Exclusive Messages. Can not communicate to my IPad Songbook + app yet. The app has a learning feature on what to send on “file open”. Looks correct but the bk does not recognize. Still trying to figure this out? Not sure if a midi pedal can be programmed to send these messages for one touch 1-4 on Bk?

The other day I looked through the BK7m manual and I din't see any provision for controlling one touch settings via standard MIDI or SysEx messages. Roland will have to update the firmware/OS.

torch post_id=61418 time=1532546657 user_id=421 said:
The other day I looked through the BK7m manual and I dint see any provision for controlling one touch settings via standard MIDI or SysEx messages. Roland will have to update the firmware/OS.

Roland also said it can’t be done.
The Bk-7m is ok for some, but I am spoiled with the Korg arranger. I guess it is something to get used to. I am still going to use it at some gigs, but do away with the one touch sounds for the right hand, which I think the FR4x is sufficient for accordion and orchestra sounds.
It is still strange I get a bunch of SysEx messages from the 1 touch, bk-7m. But to me at this time not important...

Last night I tried something. FR4x, Bk-7m and Songbook+.
I was able to select a song on iPad and able to open a selected performance number on Bk and program bank select on fr4x. The picture shows the control messages for Songbook.
As far as hardware, plugged the Yamaha ud-bt01 computer port of FR4x and mi.1 Quicco in the midi in/out of bk-7m.
I know the midi ports are used up on Bk, but a second ud-bt-01 May or may not work?
Just experimenting. Check out the control messages.
The first 3 is for Bk-7m and the second set for FR4x. The basic channel is 16 for both units.
This message opens Bk-7m Performance no. 56 and FR4x Program 1-1.

Attachments

• A2360C69-90EA-436D-8A9C-DA39A2154D47.jpeg
    A2360C69-90EA-436D-8A9C-DA39A2154D47.jpeg
    155.1 KB · Views: 668
Lovely! I knew it could do this, but to see it in action is awesome. Basically this means that performing pros can move from song to song and get the proper registration in seconds... something that takes longer if you have to do it by hand.

I've been looking at the iPad pro... but again, I had an easier time spending near $2000 on two mics and a field recorder than spending $1000 on an iPad. Maybe if prices dropped some... but for now, its all manual mode for me. Again, I am not a stage performer, but if I was, I would be rethinking my position big time. :)

JerryPH post_id=61538 time=1532991584 user_id=1475 said:
Lovely! I knew it could do this, but to see it in action is awesome. Basically this means that performing pros can move from song to song and get the proper registration in seconds... something that takes longer if you have to do it by hand.

Ive been looking at the iPad pro... but again, I had an easier time spending near $2000 on two mics and a field recorder than spending $1000 on an iPad. Maybe if prices dropped some... but for now, its all manual mode for me. Again, I am not a stage performer, but if I was, I would be rethinking my position big time. :)
I am still looking at the next generation to have all this hardware built in. I still am not up to speed on why this works. Hope to get this on You Tube the basics. Since I use up the midi in port on the Bk-7m using mi.1 quicco Bluetooth adapter, have a solution with a product made by MiDI solutions which will give that extra MIDI port which will be needed for the accordion chord midi transmit, channel 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back