• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

"Master Switch or Wrist Coupler"

Status
Not open for further replies.

JIM D.

Been here for ages!
Technical Adviser
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hi All; The Master Switch or Wrist Coupler was one of the designs of Pietro Diero and since the 1920's the design has been used by all accordion makers in their medium and large size models. My question here is which was the first accordion firm to offer it on there accordions?? JIM D.

Italo-American Mfg, Co.? Its a guess, partly because I believe it is the make of accordion Pietro played & had input in the design of some models (a la Shand with Hohner); & doubts because I seem to remember seeing somehwere that it was a Paolo Soprani innovation- but when it comes to these things there seems to be lots of conflicting info & opionion.

Guido Deiro performed with Italo-American accordions and remained faithful to them. The "Master Switch" was first built by Excelsior after the designs of Pietro Deiro . Thereafter, other companies also began to incorporate the "master switch" as the various artists began to demand this feature from their accordion lines. Pietro became an Excelsior artist and remained faithful to them. jim D.

So who first introduced the chin couplers?
Also the enterprising Mr Deiro?

Hi Glenn; GOOD QUESTION! I do know the chin switch originated in Europe. I'm gonna work on this one -- get back to you unless someone else has an answer??? JIM D.

Chinese invention, possibly. Chin -ese? :lol:

I'll get my coat...

JIM D. said:
Guido Deiro performed with Italo-American accordions and remained faithful to them. The Master Switch was first built by Excelsior after the designs of Pietro Deiro . Thereafter, other companies also began to incorporate the master switch as the various artists began to demand this feature from their accordion lines. Pietro became an Excelsior artist and remained faithful to them. jim D.
Jim Youre a mine of interesting info. :tup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back