• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

mario bros 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

accordian

did this a little while
ago and im open to
suggestions to make
it sound better.

thanks

maybe it's uneeded to
be said but the accordion
sounds better in real
it's just my mic / lack of

You are urgently in need of a teacher to point out to you how to improve your bellow control, articulation, phrasing & timing, which are all essential ingredients to coherent musicianship.

These factors important if anyone else is to enjoy your performance.

Happy girl post_id=56684 time=1522511868 user_id=322 said:
You are urgently in need of a teacher to point out to you how to improve your bellow control, articulation, phrasing & timing, which are all essential ingredients to coherent musicianship.

These factors important if anyone else is to enjoy your performance.

oke doke I havent heard about phrasing or timing
maybe I will be able to find some stuff on the net
I will also try talking to moshe zutcher if he responds

Actually accordion, it isn’t about TALKING to Moshe Zutcher, it is about LISTENING!

Make it your mantra from now on that no-one ever learns anything by talking.

agree totally with 'happy girl'. and would add start or go back to learning to play one or two very simple tunes well. The accordion is a complicated instrument and becoming proficient can take several years of slow and steady progress .

Put another way learn to walk before you attempt to run!

george

Well, I will say, "Accordian" that your version was a lot better than I expected from the comments so far!

The instrument you're playing is extremely air-hungry - your bellows are moving fast whatever you do, and that makes things harder. It's wasting air somewhere - you'll find playing a lot easier when you have an instrument in better condition.

Ok you tripped up on the time at one point. I certainly wouldn't go against what other people have already said, and it's good advice to do something simple really well rather than something harder with faults but keep going!
Cheers
Tom

TomBR post_id=56691 time=1522522430 user_id=323 said:
Well, I will say, Accordian that your version was a lot better than I expected from the comments so far!

The instrument youre playing is extremely air-hungry - your bellows are moving fast whatever you do, and that makes things harder. Its wasting air somewhere - youll find playing a lot easier when you have an instrument in better condition.

Ok you tripped up on the time at one point. I certainly wouldnt go against what other people have already said, and its good advice to do something simple really well rather than something harder with faults but keep going!
Cheers
Tom

thank you

Happy girl post_id=56686 time=1522515662 user_id=322 said:
Actually accordion, it isn’t about TALKING to Moshe Zutcher, it is about LISTENING!

Make it your mantra from now on that no-one ever learns anything by talking.

I meant I wasnt
sure about what you
meant by articulation
phrasing etc. and was
going to ask

phrasing is simply the musical equivalent of punctuation in the spoken word,. i.e. breaking it up into 'chunks' as in sentences, phrases etc .There are no hard and fast rules as where in a tune to put the breaks, its down to the skills of the individual musician.

There is also the need to create gaps between notes rather than running them into each other ( unless you are doing that on purpose for a particular tune or part of tune)

The well known concert pianist Artur Schnabel once said '' the notes I handle no better than many pianists, but the pauses between notes - Ah, that is where the art resides''. In other words ''playing the gaps'' is just as important or even more important than playing the right notes.

articulation is all about dynamics which in simple terms means varying the volume within a tune and can include increasing or decreasing volume on individual notes , gradualy increasing or decreasing the volume over several notes or in particular parts of a tune etc etc.

the dynamics (volume variations) are entirely controlled by increases or decreases in bellows pressure (push or pull) and unlike a piano, are not effected by varying pressure on the keys which effectively only act as on/off switches!

George ;)

@accordian

As you seem to like to play song of storms why not learn to play Kass’s theme. (I believe its from the same story/video game), although I dont play these myself.

This player demonstrates good phrasing etc.

If you can emulate this player I think you will be well on the way to improving your playing.

What do you think?

I thought that was pretty good. A few flubs, but a nice job overall.

Here's my recommendation, FWIW: Get a metronome (or metronome app for you phone, etc.) and practice with it.

Your playing is the video at about 160 beats-per-minute. But I'd recommend that you practice it even slower... like 120 or so. Maybe even slower. Practice the right hand only with the metronome, then the left hand only with the metronome. Then, if and only if the hands sound good separately, play them together with the metronome.

If the buttons in your left hand aren't coming down right on the "clicks", then you need to keep practicing. Don't increase the tempo until it locks in well at the slower tempo. (It takes some spare "processor cycles" in your brain to pay attention to the metronome, and you'll only have those spare cycles if you've gained a good bit of automaticity in the actual playing of the piece.)

Practicing with a metronome not only helps you develop an internal sense of rhythm, it also trains you to play along with something outside yourself. If you can't play well with a metronome, you won't be able to play well with another musician, or in a group of accordionists, etc.

george garside post_id=56699 time=1522535164 user_id=118 said:
phrasing is simply the musical equivalent of punctuation in the spoken word,. i.e. breaking it up into chunks as in sentences, phrases etc .There are no hard and fast rules as where in a tune to put the breaks, its down to the skills of the individual musician.

There is also the need to create gaps between notes rather than running them into each other ( unless you are doing that on purpose for a particular tune or part of tune)

The well known concert pianist Artur Schnabel once said the notes I handle no better than many pianists, but the pauses between notes - Ah, that is where the art resides. In other words playing the gaps is just as important or even more important than playing the right notes.

articulation is all about dynamics which in simple terms means varying the volume within a tune and can include increasing or decreasing volume on individual notes , gradualy increasing or decreasing the volume over several notes or in particular parts of a tune etc etc.

the dynamics (volume variations) are entirely controlled by increases or decreases in bellows pressure (push or pull) and unlike a piano, are not effected by varying pressure on the keys which effectively only act as on/off switches!

George ;)

ah I see.
how do I know when
to increase volume or
is it more my playing has
varying volume?

JeffJetton post_id=56719 time=1522595364 user_id=1774 said:

Heres my recommendation, FWIW: Get a metronome (or metronome app for you phone, etc.) and practice with it.

Your playing is the video at about 160 beats-per-minute. But Id recommend that you practice it even slower... like 120 or so. Maybe even slower. Practice the right hand only with the metronome, then the left hand only with the metronome. Then, if and only if the hands sound good separately, play them together with the metronome.

If the buttons in your left hand arent coming down right on the clicks, then you need to keep practicing. Dont increase the tempo until it locks in well at the slower tempo. (It takes some spare processor cycles in your brain to pay attention to the metronome, and youll only have those spare cycles if youve gained a good bit of automaticity in the actual playing of the piece.)

Practicing with a metronome not only helps you develop an internal sense of rhythm, it also trains you to play along with something outside yourself. If you cant play well with a metronome, you wont be able to play well with another musician, or in a group of accordionists, etc.

oke doke
just one thing you
say about the clicks
do you mean the metronome
clicks or the button clicks

Reedwarbler post_id=56710 time=1522575402 user_id=84 said:
@accordian

As you seem to like to play song of storms why not learn to play Kass’s theme. (I believe its from the same story/video game), although I dont play these myself.

This player demonstrates good phrasing etc.

If you can emulate this player I think you will be well on the way to improving your playing.

What do you think?

hey i dont
see why not

JeffJetton post_id=56719 time=1522595364 user_id=1774 said:

Heres my recommendation, FWIW: Get a metronome (or metronome app for you phone, etc.) and practice with it.

Your playing is the video at about 160 beats-per-minute. But Id recommend that you practice it even slower... like 120 or so. Maybe even slower. Practice the right hand only with the metronome, then the left hand only with the metronome. Then, if and only if the hands sound good separately, play them together with the metronome.

If the buttons in your left hand arent coming down right on the clicks, then you need to keep practicing. Dont increase the tempo until it locks in well at the slower tempo. (It takes some spare processor cycles in your brain to pay attention to the metronome, and youll only have those spare cycles if youve gained a good bit of automaticity in the actual playing of the piece.)

Practicing with a metronome not only helps you develop an internal sense of rhythm, it also trains you to play along with something outside yourself. If you cant play well with a metronome, you wont be able to play well with another musician, or in a group of accordionists, etc.

I tried playing lambada with
metronome today just the
right hand. didnt realise how
much better it sounds when
in time. how does one play and
listen to the metronome? do you
use headphones for the metronome?

accordian post_id=56759 time=1522698543 user_id=2458 said:
metronome today just the
Its not just in time but in relation to the beat: when recording without the metronome, it may well sound less inspired again. Using a drum computer/drum loop may be even nicer, particularly when working with swing rhythms. When recording, youd use a headphone or earphone, yes. Stuff you dont want to appear is usually called a click track. Often a single earphone is enough for those.

Geronimo post_id=56774 time=1522767094 user_id=2623 said:
accordian post_id=56759 time=1522698543 user_id=2458 said:
metronome today just the
Its not just in time but in relation to the beat: when recording without the metronome, it may well sound less inspired again. Using a drum computer/drum loop may be even nicer, particularly when working with swing rhythms. When recording, youd use a headphone or earphone, yes. Stuff you dont want to appear is usually called a click track. Often a single earphone is enough for those.
ah I see

By "with the click" I mean the click of the metronome. It should occur at the same time as you pressing the LH button (assuming you're playing a basic LH pattern, of course), rather than lagging behind or coming ahead of it.

When I practice with metronome, I just crank the sucker up loud enough to hear over my accordion. As Geronimo points out, if you are recording with a metronome, you would indeed typically use headphones/earphones to that the clicks don't get recorded.

(Although there are some recordings--like actual songs on actual major-label records--where the singer in the vocal booth has the click track [or drum loop] up in their headphones so loud that it "bleeds into" the microphone they're using, allowing the careful listener to hear it during quiet spots!)

Youre not there yet, but keep on experimenting. As other people said, you need to walk before you run. This is like jumping 2 years ahead of where you are now. And if you play that tune with all the notes properly (this version was a simplified version), then it will take quite many years. I play that tune myself and I have kind of trouble getting this tune to sound properly. You can listen to my version for some inspiration maybe - even if mine is far from perfect :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back