• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Looking for smaller, inexpensive second accordion

Tor

Reaction score
I'm thinking about getting a smaller accordion I wouldn't feel so worried about taking to potentially bad environments for an accordion. My first accordion came from Accordion Lab, and my experience was it was a good first instrument that played well for what it was. Based on that, I wrote to them for more info on a few models, but have gotten a mailbox full return twice now since this weekend.

Are they still a worthy place for this sort of instrument and I should just call them, or are there other places I should add to my list to try or try instead?

Specifically, I'm thinking towards a 24 to maybe, but unlikely 72 bass that could also be played by younger players. Different registers definitely preferred, but not absolutely required. Most likely a 2/4, but would be tempted by 3/4.

My primary (and only working) instrument is a Siwa & Figli Cobra Grande. Four years on and I have zero regrets. It's a perfect instrument for me. Were it not for the reasons above I wouldn't be seriously considering buying another instrument.

Last edited:
I think 72-bass is generally a great compromise between size/weight/cost and flexibility. But if go a notch or two down to 48-bass, you'll have something even smaller, lighter, cheaper, but still be able to play a lot of stuff. Especially the sort of simple songs in easy keys that tend to crop up in the very situations you'd likely be bringing such an instrument into in the first place.

My "beater" accordion is a Hohner Student 48 that I picked up used for about $200 or so. It's not fancy, but it's loud, sturdy, and gets the job done. I don't use it often, but when I do, it's the perfect thing for it.

I wish you good luck, Tor. I'm sorry I don't know anything about Accordion Lab. Imho, availability of playability is most important in a search for a beater accordion. Keep checking places like eBay, Craigslist, marketplace, etc. for something suitable in your price range. If your hands are small enough, you may find a "ladies" model 120 bass which is as small as a 24 bass, but, more importantly in good, playable shape. Could also ok for children. Good luck!

I’d like to echo @JeffJetton re 48 bass as being a good option. Sure you lose some chord options (especially in the 8x6 bass orientation more than the rarer 12x4). But it can play a lot of tunes, and is remarkably portable. I recently bought me a relatively low cost 48 bass Weltmeister Perle as a lighter second accordion to have alongside my main 72 bass. And it’s worked superbly.

Have fun with whatever you get!

Thanks, all. I have been thinking 48 bass is probably the sensible option. Far enough down to really work for smaller hands.

I have on old 2/4 120 bass with nice tone that has cracking reed wax (nearly lost some reeds last I looked, but not quite) and bellows that aren't that tight with cracking corners. It's been on my thinking to use it to learn how to fix up an accordion properly. Too much work to be worth shipping and paying someone to fix it up, but if I can it would be a lovely instrument again. It would also be a good fit between my good one and a 48 bass. Still not profitable, but I'm sure I'd get enough good experience to "pay" for the time that way. Figuring I should be able to rewax, releather, and reface the pallets for not too much monetary outlay (tools for fine, detailed work I have in plenty), and, should it come out well, I can then replace the bellows with new.

Good point on Craigslist. Not interested in Ebay - shipping is sure to be enough I'm better off to go with a new Chinese than anything from any but the best instrument dealers on Ebay, which negates the price benefit.

Hmmm... Craigslist theoretically has this: https://honolulu.craigslist.org/kau/msg/d/kealia-barcarole-accordion/7523671895.html Doesn't look likely to me. The description quality and reason for selling don't match well, it's probably closer to my good one in size and weight, and it's more than I want to spend right now.

Well, I did finally call Accordion Lab a few days ago, and the Parrot line, most of what I was looking at, is discontinued. Still cogitating, and open to any suggestions on where best to get something on that level - essentially in tune and playable, but something I wouldn't feel too bad about playing at a beach or a student being careless with it.

Also put in an inquiry on the Barcarole now that it's down to $600 OBO list. Liberty Bellows had a 4/5 120bass CBA Barcarole for $1300, which should mean leaks chased down, any leathers at issue replaced, and tuned. On that, I figure $200 for shipping (to repairer, apples to apples comparison means either "new" or repaired shipped to me), $600 to replace all leathers if bad, $300+ to get it back in tune, totaling $1100 means, unless the inside looks really good, it's worth no more than about $200 if it were what I want. Keyboard at least looks pretty close to level, not that it says anything about reeds or leathers.

Also put in an inquiry on the Barcarole now that it's down to $600 OBO list. ...
Barcarole is (like Weltmeister) a name back from the Soviet era. I have worked on an older Barcarole and it's the same rubbish like the old Weltmeisters. I have no idea about the ones you are looking at now. The one on Craigslist looks just like the old rubbish ones, with a new grille and different treble register buttons. But I would stay away from them just the same. Going for something from Italy is the safest option. An old Hohner from Germany may also do. Anything else I would suggest to pass.

The shop you mentioned, has a 2/4 Scandalli that looks very clean. It is 41/120, but with a very short 16” keyboard that would be good for younger players. And only $900.

The switches on it look odd, as though they might not be original

Thanks, @debra. It's only because it's local to me and I might be able to bargain it to the point of "if I get a few years of a bit of use as-is, that's OK" that I even considered it. Any 4/5 that requires immediate shipping in either direction is a non-starter right now.

@Scuromondo, Thanks, but for a 41/120, short of getting one in playable condition for a very small initial outlay I'll probably spend much less, get the materials and few tools I need, get off my duff, and repair the old Castiglione I have, that needs about 18" from leg to far-enough-below-chin-to-play-it.

You're a craftsman. Maybe consider doing your own restoration, since it's a second accordion anyway. Fun, and you'll learn about accordion construction.

Oh, I wouldn't even consider sending any of the accordions we're talking about here in for service. Right now, if my good accordion needed service I might well do so, but there's a lot more risk of messing something up in there. I was thinking through price estimates merely for determining how much I could consider spending on an instrument that had only commercial value if I fixed it.

Reactions: Tom
Hmmm... Craigslist theoretically has this: https://honolulu.craigslist.org/kau/msg/d/kealia-barcarole-accordion/7523671895.html Doesn't look likely to me. The description quality and reason for selling don't match well, it's probably closer to my good one in size and weight, and it's more than I want to spend right now.

What a coincidence, I just looked at this same Craigslist page yesterday! I'm glad others were here to fill me in on the mediocrity of Barcaroles.

Reactions: Tor
If I wanted a 4/5 instrument (guessing, but near-certain based on register count) here I'd probably look seriously at that one if it's really in good playing condition, making sure to inspect the internals and appropriately discount it for either what was found or a worst case situation. I'm sure you well know what shipping does to buying anything from off-island.

As it is, a 4/5 instrument would be more or less a duplicate of what I have, so I'd have to get it very cheap and playable to make it worthwhile.

Along the same idea for a walk around accordion, is the Weltmeister Romance 603 CBA any good?

Back