• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Looking for a Master Tuner

Richard

Reaction score
Hello all, with all the fine artists and technicians on our forum, I wonder if you would point me in the proper direction. I purchased a magnificent Super VI ‘N’ model Scandalli from I think the early 60’s
1.The tuning altho very good it can use some touching up. Is there someone that has the experience to
help with this?
2. I also would love to have a slight tremolo maybe 8 cents. The VI is concert tuned. Should I not do this
on such a fine accordion?
Thank you in advance for your knowledge and wisdom!

I don't know of tuners in your area, sorry. You need to be extra careful they don't steal your reeds while supposedly only tuning, and they should not use a Dremel (or other rotary device) for tuning.
As for the tremolo, it's entirely a matter of taste. I like 7 or 8 cents as a very mild tremolo, but others prefer 10, 12, 14, 16... The one thing I do not like is concert tuning (2 cents) because it just sounds like a failed attempt at completely dry tuning (0 cents).

I don't know of tuners in your area, sorry. You need to be extra careful they don't steal your reeds while supposedly only tuning, and they should not use a Dremel (or other rotary device) for tuning.
As for the tremolo, it's entirely a matter of taste. I like 7 or 8 cents as a very mild tremolo, but others prefer 10, 12, 14, 16... The one thing I do not like is concert tuning (2 cents) because it just sounds like a failed attempt at completely dry tuning (0 cents).
Well, where would the forum be without differences in opinion? This kind of tuning gives kind of a chorus effect giving the notes more depth. It also "pads out" chords by fuzzying out the 2 cents of pitch mismatch from fifths in equal temperament. The downside is that it's worse in maintenance than a straight tuning (where the smallest differences will tend to synchronize) and getting consistent behavior for slow scales and melodies is kind of short-lived. For fast runs, it doesn't differ significantly from straight tuning. So it's more of an Accordion 4 tuning option than an Accordion 1 option. Also the "chorus" effect works best as a 3-reed variant (that is more complex than a slow beating), and few people are willing to have two tremolo reeds that are both tuned rather shallow.

I purchased a magnificent Super VI ‘N’ model Scandalli from I think the early 60’s
It would be great to see a photo of your lovely Super VI. I like 'em!

. You need to be extra careful they don't steal your reeds while supposedly only tuning, and they should not use a Dremel (or other rotary device) for tuning.
A number of years ago, when I had a Super VI, I got it tuned and restored in Northern Italy. It was all good and I had no problem. However, nowadays I would personally ask @debra if I wanted a special accordion worked on. While we may disagree on the piano vs buttons debate, I think he is a perfectionist and would put more time and effort into doing a good job than anyone!

Last edited:
A number of years ago, when I had a Super VI, I got it tuned and restored in Northern Italy. It was all good and I had no problem. However, nowadays I would personally ask @debra if I wanted a special accordion worked on. While we may disagree on the piano vs buttons debate, I think he is a perfectionist and would put more time and effort into doing a good job than anyone!
Sorry, I only do repairs and tuning for friends I play with in ensembles and orchestras. (I used to do repairs for friends of friends as well and that quickly became too much work!

Sorry, I only do repairs and tuning for friends I play with in ensembles and orchestras. (I used to do repairs for friends of friends as well and that quickly became too much work!
Being meticulous and having had just a hobbyist workload means that you take eternities to get something done to your satisfaction. Nothing you'd sensibly do for strangers.

Being meticulous and having had just a hobbyist workload means that you take eternities to get something done to your satisfaction. Nothing you'd sensibly do for strangers.
That is true. Some small issues in accordions can take a long time to diagnose and solve. I wouldn't like to do a less than perfect job just to be faster and keep a repair affordable. But my main motivation to limit the number of repairs I do is that I want to spend more time on making arrangements and playing the accordion.

Thanks Paul, I’ve been wondering what ‘wet’ and ‘dry’ mean!

Hi Rodney
This video cited before pretty much explains it:

Dry basically means no beating (tremolo) which is the 1st box played in the video.
Though it (supposedly) engages 2 reeds per key tuned unison you won't hear a beating - some "phasing" if at all.

To my understanding "wet" is anything beyond that.
How much of wetness - well, you'll find a whole lot of articles here.

Hi Rodney
This video cited before pretty much explains it:

Dry basically means no beating (tremolo) which is the 1st box played in the video.
Though it (supposedly) engages 2 reeds per key tuned unison you won't hear a beating - some "phasing" if at all.

To my understanding "wet" is anything beyond that.
How much of wetness - well, you'll find a whole lot of articles here.

Thanks PhiliGol, it’s nice to have understanding of the the art of music being reinforced by science.

Back