• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

LMMM vs LMMH

Status
Not open for further replies.
losthobos said:
That MH certainly sits brilliantly as a bandoneon in that setting Paul... Shows it definitely pays to think outside the box... Thanks

Well, you have to listen to what works, and not care about what it's called. I am currently working on a violin concerto by Bach. I have used MM with 8, 10 or 12 cents for violin before, and for some music it works well, but now I'm using LM in 8va for the violins and for Bach that also works well, just like a single 8 sometimes works well. It all depends on which piece of music and which sound you like for that piece. The reality is of course that no register like MM with any amount of tremolo (even 0), single M, MH or LM sounds like a violin. If you want the sound of a violin, use a violin. Likewise, if you want the sound of a bandoneon, use a bandoneon. For some pieces with bandoneon I have also used the accordina and that too can work well. It works very well for Oblivion (by Piazzolla) for instance. But no, it does not sound like a bandoneon.

maugein96 pid=72512 dateline=1591036015 said:
John M pid=72509 dateline=1591030237 said:
I sending an LMMM Titano ACE accordion to a friend.  It is supposed to be musette tuned to Frank Yankovics Polka tuning.  Does anyone know what the -M, M, +M tuning is?

John M.

Hi John,

If you are talking about the American version of Slovenian tuning, then this may be of interest to you. It is mentioned here that Frankie Yankovics accordion was completely dry tuned, which suggests it probably only had two MM reeds. European Slovenian tuning is supposedly 12 cents up on the high M reeds, and the article suggests the low M reeds may be wider tuned than the high M, e.g. -14,0,+12

https://fortbendaccordionclu.wixsite.com/accordion/tuning
Hi Maugein96,
The above link on the various LMMM tunings is great!  Very useful  information with a lot of good detail.
Thanks!!

Dingo40 said:
 Human nature being what it is, you'll probably end up with both, eventually: I have! :p

Then, something else will come along! :)

:) This sounds familiar.

Why not buy a 5 voice?  That way you get the best of all worlds unless you are worried about the extra weight.

Right on Tom with the 5 voice!

I took lessons in 1950 for two years and quit.  A couple of years ago, I decided I would give the accordion a try once again.  I remember my teacher had an Excelsior that had a tone that sounded so nice to me; a sound I'll always remember.  So, when I got interested in the accordion few years ago, I checked ads for a used Excelsior.  I found an Excelsior 960 in Chicago.  I wouldn't buy it without trying it out so I did the 6 hr. drive to Chicago.  I spent a couple of hours checking that each reed sounded on the "push" and the "pull".  The accordion was in excellent condition and had a beautiful tone with the 5 voice LMMMH reeds.  I really like the L in cassoto ("Bassoon") and the sweet tremolo of the two M+ and M- reeds out of cassoto.  Excelsior calls this selection "M.Vivace".  The MMM "Musette" with the middle M in cassoto is also very nice.  This accordion has great tone variation with the various 14 switch combinations of the 5 reed blocks.

The weight of this accordion is not a problem for me.  I usually play sitting down, and don't play for long periods of time standing up.

John M.

Tomj731 said:
Why not buy a 5 voice?  That way you get the best of all worlds unless you are worried about the extra weight.

Indeed, I am worried about the extra weight! I am at my limit with a 22 pound instrument.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back