• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks

LLLMMMH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hi professionals who know far more things than me (since I am beginner): as you can figure out from the title of this topic, I want ask: there are such a piano accordion which is LLLMMMH ?
Thus, something which is wet-tuned ("musette") but not only in the M range but in the low frequencies (reeds) as well.
Is it exist at all? If yes, what is its price approximately and where it can be purchased?
If I asked something stupidity, take it easy and don't be angry, as I told it above I am beginner...
But I like very much 2 things: wet tune, and deep voices. So, I feel logical that I search something where these two whatyamacallit are given at the same time.

You wouldn't get much "musette" effect on L reeds! This is the reason why it's done with M reeds. Besides, it would be physically difficult to have that many reed sets in a box, and the air that would be required to play that would make it very hard to play!

don't CBA's have 6 reed banks already?

if you omit the H you might get close.

suppose you would end up with a large body and a relatively small keyboard range

I've been formulating plans for a DIY LLMMMHH-type accordion for a while now, built by cutting up nasty saxony-built instruments and putting them back together in different ways. I really just want to see how many sets of reeds you can fit into an accordion before it becomes impractical!
I know that Scandalli built a 'Vibrante 6' in the 1930s, with LMMMMM tuning. They're not very common, but they pop up occasionally. I would love to hear one played! Maybe if you could source one, you could swap out the reed blocks to get a customised combination.

Here's one on eBay - it's a bit pricey though!

don't CBA's have 6 reed banks already?

if you omit the H you might get close.

suppose you would end up with a large body and a relatively small keyboard range
Whether a four voice CBA has 4 or 6 reed blocks depends on its construction. A 46-note CBA (essentially a PA with button keyboard) normally has just 4 reed blocks. A typical CBA with more notes (52, 58, 64...) has 6 reed blocks. When such an accordion does not have cassotto the sound of the blocks that are behind the keyboard is quite different from the other blocks, which in good old accordions was put to good use by placing all the L reeds there, but in newer cheaper constructions it's just 2 blocks per row of buttons in a straightforward way and you have to live with the sound differences. (Hohner Morino Artiste IV and VI N and S come to mind...) With cassotto it's 3 blocks inside and 3 blocks outside of cassotto (also causing a bit of a sound difference in cassotto between the different rows of buttons.
I have one 5-voice accordion, with 2 reed blocks in cassotto and 3 outside. In principle 6 voices could be done by adding another block in cassotto, but if you wanted a 7th voice the accordion would need to become truly uncomfortably thick (which is a problem for the left hand that needs to fit through the strap and reach the bass buttons...

Why, it is just 7 reed-set (at least on the treble side)...
Perhaps, would be 14 kg? Or 15? It is not impossible to play on it yet...
Yes it would likely be a bit heavy, but I was also wondering about the increased bulk caused by not only the added reed blocks, but also the bellows. The volume of air that would be required when all 7 sets of reeds are engaged would likely mean that, in order to the instrument to be practical and playable the bellows would either need be much larger than usual or else redesigned in some clever way to increase their efficiency.

I've been formulating plans for a DIY LLMMMHH-type accordion for a while now, built by cutting up nasty saxony-built instruments and putting them back together in different ways. I really just want to see how many sets of reeds you can fit into an accordion before it becomes impractical!
I know that Scandalli built a 'Vibrante 6' in the 1930s, with LMMMMM tuning. They're not very common, but they pop up occasionally. I would love to hear one played! Maybe if you could source one, you could swap out the reed blocks to get a customised combination.

Here's one on eBay - it's a bit pricey though!

It seems very nice, but I suppose the cost is not the plain 1500 only, but minimum a good extra 2000 USD additionally, to refurbish that PA... Especially because that is a very rare item.
I wish it, but openly speaking I am not sure that I can honour it on the necessary degree... after all I am a very greenhorn beginner!
I suppose somebody else may get more pleasure and delight by having that. I would purchase it anyhow if it would be at least LLMMMM, so double L registers, but not in this stage.
Maybe, one or two year later I re-think the things, when I'll know much more about my abilities on this field of life and art (that is, how I can play on a piano accordion).
But thank you very much for the link, I've learned something new yet again, so you opened the horizon of my knowledge more wide!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back