• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks

Live streaming?

JerryPH

Been here for ages!
Site Supporter
Reaction score
What an interesting new phenomenon that's becoming predominant due to all the restrictions in the world today... I feel that this is solid proof that people need to reach out and connect with others.

I've been looking at a lot of live streaming feeds lately... some of it is near professional quality, others... somewhat ambitious but lower down the scale, but it is all interesting as we get a fairly good look inside the minds of various personalities.

I've been considering what is needed to do a streaming show myself, indeed, I even bought a streaming capture card and have been playing with the technology because technology and I have been friends a good time, yet every time I start to talk myself in to doing it, my head says "who would want to watch and listen to me, some old dude on a squeezebox?", and I put it all away... lol

I have a couple of ideas, but am still not fully convinced if it's for me.  :)

Tom

Prolific poster
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I would watch it! Just do it on facebook live, low fi?

Alans

Reaction score
Hi Jerry,every day people post videos of themselves playing accordion on Facebook and a lot of the players are not very advanced. It would be great to hear you play.

losthobos

Prolific poster
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Morning Jerry... I'm very much of the same mind... Who really wants to endure hakf hour or so of me struggling to squeeze melodies out of a cardboard lung and is prepared to do so at a specific time slot... I've abandonded the idea...
But what i have began forcing myself to do is record one song a day... LIVE... no sheet music, no editing, warts an all as if i was playing wandering a beer garden... And then send that song to one friend who i think it would suit most
Next day another tune, another friend... 
Keeps me on my toes playing wise, makes me think what eack of my friends would like to hear, and drags old tunes out from my memory bank... 
Just an idea... But amuses me without the dread fear that I'm forcing my limited talent and unlimited passion onto many that'd secretly prefer i didn't... 
Great to reach out for sure... But we don't wanna be thought of as Jehovahs witnesses banging uninvited on peoples doors.. 
Mind saying that someone invited me to a live stream of Dominic Phaats yesterday... Brilliant start to breakfast
Good luck

debra

Been here for ages!
Technical Adviser
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Streaming is definitely not for me. Especially since streams are often available for replay I wouldn't want my stream full of mistakes to persist indefinitely. When I make audio or video material I'd like it to be of the "top of my game" which may not be perfect but at last does not contain blatant mistakes. So I will stick to canned videos. (Hope to finish another one today.)

Glenn

Been here for ages!
Site Supporter
Reaction score
One advantage of a live stream that I have observed with music related stuff is the ability of the audience to interact with the host streamer via chat. This allows questions to be asked and on the spot answers and explanations. After the stream is closed the video can be made private to a select few or perhaps edited and republished.

jozz

Prolific poster
Reaction score
I've been watching a lot of acoustic duo's livestreams, and learning. One of the main things that I noticed is that when you only do one livestream, it will probably not be a very good one. But if you do it regularly you start to get into it. This counts both for the performers and the audience.

The best ones are when the performers are actually engaged with the audience somehow. A lot of the times there is a third person behind the scenes that handles the chat and takes notes of suggestions etc. But it's very nice that a performer steps up to the camera and live reads comments and gives reactions.

Also it takes some dedication to act as if the camera lens is your audience, but the ones that have been at it for weeks have a certain routine that really works is inviting and has me coming back.

We have one weekly running with friends but it really needs some time to develop something that works.

NigelB

Reaction score
I’ve been doing live-streams recently and it is quite nerve wracking! I prefer playing in bars where mistakes are quickly forgotten. It feels mire like a concert where it’s pin drop quite and everyone is just staring, waiting and you don’t know if they even like accordion music.
Having a camera on me makes me tense at the best of times and knowing it’s there for replay is uncomfortable! My playing has been shoddy and nervous and I hate watching it back. At least the focus more about the singer and our relationship.
Still I’m starting to get used to it a little after 6 shows. Over 60 songs!

The chat thing is good. At least you know someone’s there with you and people have been really positive! I don’t have to speak really, the singer does all that and her sister moderates the comments which was necessary last week as some idiot guy made inappropriate comments to a lady viewer.

It feels nice that new people are tuning in from thousands of miles away and sharing it around with their friends. We’ve made new fans and raised some real money too to replace the cancelled shows. I think we’ll carry on after lockdown as it’s growing into a genuine source of revenue as a new regular weekly gig.

I think anyone of any level could give it a go. People like the humanity of it being live, warts and all, and are for the most part very forgiving if you laugh off mistakes, and they don’t notice half the blunders anyway.

Eddy Yates

Reaction score
Good on ya, Nigel!
Do you mind telling how in the world you’re making money from streaming? Not just idle curiosity, because there are many of us who lost most of our income when all concerts were cancelled.
Thanks.

losthobos

Prolific poster
Site Supporter
Reaction score
https://m.youtube.com/user/LOPO75

Nigels band cut down to bare bones duo.... I posted link to first stream that some saw... Ive seen them as full bamd a few times and streamed a few as duo... Lovely sound.... 
Personally i think Nigels playing is superb and he probably worries a bit too much... Tune in... Well worth filling your ears....

NigelB

Reaction score
Thanks Terrry that’s kind of you to say! I’ve been a bit down on myself lately. Not been putting the hours in so feels like I’m slipping backwards.

Hi Eddy, all we did was set up a Gofundme page and point people there when the crisis began as a sort of tip jar. It took off with a lot of family and close friends donating emergency funds, but now it’s a trickle of random tips which is great and feels like something we could build on. We stream to YouTube and Facebook at the same time which helps expand our audience and try to gain subscribers on the channel by reaching out and commenting on others videos and groups. We try to target French culture and language groups and generally old people and vintage retro things as they’re our biggest fans. Helps to have a small fan base to start with and a beautiful and charming chanteuse of course!

I could add that donations from immediate family members don’t usually count for tax purposes but all the rest is taxable income. There are several options for donations/tips like PayPal and venmo but Gofundme is free to use and have lower % take. It’s also well known and trusted.

jozz

Prolific poster
Reaction score
thanks for the videos, I love it! they are very inviting. very inspirational for our own duo btw

and what a singer, absolutely love her presentation

Eddy Yates

Reaction score
Thanks for the link. Très charmant!
And thanks for so generously sharing that information, Nigel.
Cheers!

NigelB

Reaction score
You’re both most welcome thanks! If there’s anything further you’d like to know please ask. :)