• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Liscio from Sicily

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

maugein96

The Italians gave us the accordion, even if it was apparently invented elsewhere.

What does real Italian accordion music sound like?

It varies from region to region, but this is what it sounds like in Marsala, on the island of Sicily.

Real, yes, and well played, but only one of the many "real" Italian styles......and Marsala is technically closer to Africa than Italy, but who's counting? Seems like a good album.

Hi Tom,

The sad thing is that here in western Europe these days, any accordion music heard in the media is usually of the French variety. Accordion music from other countries just doesn't get much airing at all. There have been one or two Italian TV documentaries over the last 20 years or so regarding the accordion, but they have mainly concentrated on the music relating to the mainland.

I discovered this player when I was looking for an example of the old tune "Luci e Ombre", and decided I liked his playing style.

In my navy days I spent a bit of time on the nearby island of Malta, which has fairly close ties with Sicily and Libya in North Africa, but the Italian influenced accordion music tended to be a bit formal there, and I wasn't too keen on it.

I do remember a raised eyebrow or two when a former work colleague of mine, whose wife was Sicilian, brought a home cooked meal to have on his break. It was a spicy couscous dish, and he had to explain how close Sicily was to North Africa. I've never been to Sicily, but if the accordion music is like that I might just end up there some time.

Hi John,

It's the same situation here, there are really no television shows at all on accordion music. There are some variety style shows which feature "old time" music but of a very limited viewership. I don't watch tv at all, and am so fortunate to have youtube.

This type of accordion music I would not necessarily associate with Sicily, but with the more general "liscio" or dance hall style also played on the mainland. It's good for dancing, but for listening I prefer this style with vocals.

I have not visited Sicily either, but hope to one of these days.

Tom,

One of those documentaries I mentioned was centred on the mountain region to the south of Bologna, and there was quite a strong folk flavour to the music provided by violins. It isnt very well known to outsiders that the country of Italy didnt actually exist until relatively recently, and the regional music of the member states does vary quite a bit.

I think most non-Italians like myself just cherry pick all the big Italian hits of yesteryear and dont look much further into the regional styles. If I was honest I wouldnt be able to tell you the characteristics of any particular regional Italian music.

The only styles I know are Filuzzi, Liscio, and the style of Musette playing made famous by the late Carlo Venturi. Im not even very sure what that style would be called, but I remember Professor Luigi Oreste Anzaghi dictating to students in his method books that accordions with musette tuning should not be played, as the sound was inferior, and detracted from the tone of the accordion. If he was in the habit of teaching raw beginners on a daily basis then I can understand his logic.

I like the French player, Claude Caron, when he is in the recording studio, but I could only manage 2.23 of this 6.01 clip. They offered me free beer and eats to attend that concert but I declined! Watch him shunt the bellows and play the whole lot on the draw. Didnt make it sound any better. I reckon Anzaghi must have been to several of these concerts.

Thanks John, I'll look at this and the other interview when I get the chance. I'm certainly no expert, but I like a lot of the contemporary Italian players and play as much as possible .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back