• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Leeds International Organ Festival 2023 featuring the Accordion

saundersbp

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hopefully of interest to forum members in Yorkshire

5 June 2023 Valerie Barr and Djordje Gajic [Accordion]
Leeds Cathedral: 1.15–2.00 pm

This week is Accordion week at the Festival and we’re delighted to be joined by Djordje Gajic, Head of Accordion at the Royal Conservatoire of Scotland, and Valerie Barr, Accordion Tutor for the Diocese of Leeds. They will present a collection of solo and duet pieces, including organ classics arranged for the accordion.

Great work Ben, you are doing marvellous things for the development of the accordion in Britain. More power to your elbow!

You know, it was maybe around 14 years ago one Sunday afternoon my wife and I made a trip at short notice to the tiny village of Balquhidder to watch Djordje Gajic perform a summer concert in a little church in the glen, the place where the historic Scottish hero Rob Roy Macgregor once lived. I had known of Mr Gajic for many years, as he was one of the worlds greatest accordionists but that day I got to meet him for the first time, a very nice man and brilliant musician. The round trip from my home in the Highlands was around 250 miles that day, but it was worth it!

It seems he has been working very hard as a teacher and he has many great students, including the Scottish accordionists Valerie Barr and Ryan Corbett amongst others.

The excellent Valerie Barr

The brilliant Ryan Corbett

A trio of wonderful accordion students at the RCS in Scotland: Ryan Corbett, Alena Bulatetskaya, Valerie Barr.

Djordje Gajic too

Last edited:
It seems he has been working very hard as a teacher and he has many great students, including the Scottish accordionists Valerie Barr and Ryan Corbett amongst others.
Many thanks - that's so kind. Val is one of our full time accordion teachers and also a fantastic performer.

Balquhidder is a super place - a friend from schools parents had a holiday home up there so I was a regular.

Back