• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks

Kind of like "Tuba Skinny " but not!๐Ÿ™‚

donn

Prolific poster
Reaction score
There's a ton of stuff like this on youtube, from members of a Brazilian evangelical church Congregaรงรฃo Cristรฃ no Brasil. I don't know if every male member plays an instrument, but a lot of them do, and it's part of the service - great big wind orchestras on their hymns. I don't think the accordion gets in on that, but of course the tuba does, and they also have an unusual fondness for gigantic contrabass saxophones, which are manufactured for them in Brazil. Female members are allowed to play organ, if I remember right. While the sax basses tend towards gigantism, the tubas run a little to dwarfism - I exaggerate, but they seem to like Eb bass tubas, and in small groups like this they'll play those florid improvised bass lines. One of the few stars of this world is a blind tuba player, Marcelo Cego (Blind Marcelo.)

Dingo40

Prolific poster
Reaction score
Thanks for the information, Donn๐Ÿ™‚๐Ÿ‘
I thought they sounded a bit like "Tuba Skinny " meets old time "Salvation Army "๐Ÿ™‚
Very impressive, in any case! ๐Ÿ‘
Marcelo Cego on tuba:
A final selection: "Oh when the saints...?"

Last edited:

donn

Prolific poster
Reaction score
Marcelo Cego on tuba:

I am compelled to point out a favorite instrument that you can't see because that video has no video - the cavaquinho, a little stringed instrument that shares some common heritage with the ukulele but has diverged quite a bit. Steel strings and tuned differently, it's a potent rhythm instrument, and not one that's taken up casually by someone who wants to minimize effort learning anything - takes a lot of practice to sound like that. But it's solely background. At 5 minutes for example, or 20 minutes. And there's the accordion connection: the Brazilian accordionist learns to put out a rapid pulse like a cavaquinho rhythm, and they're doing it together. The cavaquinho has a distinct advantage of course, cuts through more and swings a little more, but the accordion makes quite an engine.

There's a lot of good stuff in that compilation.

Gonk

Reaction score
Donn, thanks for the great info. Really interesting.

Re: "When the Saints Come Marching In"...that poor little boy! Wait until ASCAP and CPS hear about this...