• We're having a little contest throughout February. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Keyboard Levelling

Glug

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hiya folks,
another simpleish question for your consideration :)

Some time back I changed the pallet facings on my Hohner Lucia IV P.  I did pay some attention to getting the keys at the same height but was more concerned with reducing air leaks.  Now it's a few months later and it's probably time to level the keys more accurately (I've reached music with glissandos).

I do know how to bend the rods etc, I even made the correct tools, but the question is what height should I set the keys at ?

Here's what it looks like currently:

And the key travel at the end is about 7mm:

I originally used a long ruler across the frame to check the level, which should be ok if I do it more carefully.
I'm currently thinking of reducing the travel slightly to 6mm, so keys just below the level of the frame.

Any thoughts gratefully received.
Cheers
Gareth.

Attachments

• levelling.1.jpg
    levelling.1.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 110
  • levelling.2.jpg
    levelling.2.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 91

debra

Been here for ages!
Technical Adviser
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I guess you did not take such a picture before you started the work on the pallets?
I think you can safely assume that the correct position is when the first and last key are about parallel to the adjacent edge of the keyboard housing. The leftmost and rightmost keys in the first picture look about right. The rest is probably a bit too high.

Glug

Site Supporter
Reaction score
A before picture would have been a really good idea, unfortunately sometimes I'm a bit stupid :)

The closest I can find is this:

Which does show the fiirst key as lower than it currently is, and about parallel to the edge as you say.
So I'm thinking around 6mm would probably be right.

Attachments

• before.1.jpg
    before.1.jpg
    417 KB · Views: 65

Glug

Site Supporter
Reaction score

debra

Been here for ages!
Technical Adviser
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Glug pid=63697 dateline=1548953217 said:
It turns out 3/16 (4.8mm) is about right for a 1959 Hohner Lucia:

Achieved by putting an 18 ruler across the frame 1cm back from the end of the key and setting the gap between the ruler and key with a 0.9mm feeler gauge.

This also qualifies as a shallow action as described in http://accordionrevival.com/ACCORDION_REPAIR_2.php#Setting_up_a_keyboard_for_shallow_action which is probably a good thing.

Looks perfectly straight, and looks about right as well, not really shallow action, which is a good thing because shallow action also means the pallets do not open as much and that can muffle the sound a bit.
The picture does not make it as clear whether the black keys are also perfectly level. They need to have similar travel to the white keys, and the pallets need to open more or less equally far as well.

Glug

Site Supporter
Reaction score
I was concerned about the pallets opening far enough, but it sounds perfectly fine, I wouldn't want to go much smaller though.

And I haven't readjusted the black keys yet, I do need to reduce the travel slightly :)

They're easier though because they have the compound lever mechanism and there's fine adjustment available by moving the rubber coupler.
A couple of the white keys have pallets in that row so there shouldn't be any problems.

It does feel nicer to play with the reduced key travel.

knobby

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Is there a video or pictoral guide anywhere of how to adjust the keys on a keyboard? I found a text description but video/photo would be much easier for me to understand.

Glug

Site Supporter
Reaction score
I haven't seen any videos, I did it from the piece in Accordion Revival:
Just the first bit on bending key rods.

But it does depend on how the keys connect to the pallets, the Hohner Lucia has round key rods so you can bend them in any direction you want.