• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Ken Nicol (from the Ken and Mary accordion duo) died.

debra

Been here for ages!
Technical Adviser
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If we want to post about people dying, we should definitely post about accordion players dying.

I am quoting an "official" message about the death of Ken below:
It is with an extremely heavy heart that I must share that my music partner and best friend of 20 years - Ken Nicol - passed away 2 days ago after battling a number of serious medical problems. He made me promise to keep the band going and I plan to make good on that promise to him. I have been pairing up with one of Ken's other band members - Lynn Fullerton - who plays trumpet and has an awesome singing voice, since the fall of last year since Ken was often unable to perform. Please pray for Ken's wife and the entire family. It's a heartbreaking time, but we will come through this. I will soon try to work on a new facebook page and will need to update our website and establish a new email address, but that will come in time. I'll keep things as is for now. We are now "Mary's Turbo Accordion Express" band. RIP Ken Nicol 8-21-23
Ken-Nicol.jpg

Yes, very sad. As time moves on, we are going to have more accordionists pass away. The length of time from when the "hey day" of the accordion were a long time ago, and we can expect this to start to happen more and more.

Yes, very sad. As time moves on, we are going to have more accordionists pass away. The length of time from when the "hey day" of the accordion were a long time ago, and we can expect this to start to happen more and more.

True...but over in England the Organ mob in Leeds is turning out new squeeze box talent, Scotland is doing its bit and the London School of Music continues to foster the instument.
Perhaps it is time for North America to catch up with the rest of the world, especially the Southern part of their own continent.

We should not exaggerate... There are enough very talented young people to fill the gaps left by older accordion players dying. That does not make their loss any easier to deal with, but let's not forget the young talent that's coming up. I know at least four new great players, just in the Netherlands (the two ladies forming the "toeac" duo on button accordion and two piano-accordion players Vincent van Amsterdam and Leo van Lierop) and I'm sure more are on the way... And then there is much more talent in numbers, really good players who just are not professional performers but do a very decent job promoting the accordion, playing, teaching, etc.

What's to exaggerate? Everyone gets old, the thing is that I see a lot of the well known accordionists on Facebook, many of them are slowing down, not able to even play and yes, we all are going to pass one day.

Are there new accordionists popping up? Yes, however I don't know about others, but my "connection" with the newer ones is not as strong as the older ones. Now, you mentioned TOEAC, yes, I've been following Pieternel Berkers and Renée Bekkers for years and enjoying a lot of their work. :)

True...but over in England the Organ mob in Leeds is turning out new squeeze box talent, Scotland is doing its bit and the London School of Music continues to foster the instument.
Perhaps it is time for North America to catch up with the rest of the world, especially the Southern part of their own continent.
Hmmm... "Southern part of their own continent..." Not sure what you mean here ffingers..... Do you mean more like the Mexicans, or more like the Brazilians, etc? Plenty of fine new accordionists in the southern part of this continent, Cajun, zydeco, tex mex, etc. It's where old time or jazz is dying out in the north and not being replaced is the problem.

Here here! There would also be absolutely nothing wrong with the northern part (ie: Canada?) getting proactive a little too! :)

Back