• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Jon Batiste, American Symphony, Melodica

Tom

Been here for ages!
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Saw the documentary “American Symphony” last night with Jon Batiste on Netflix. He’s pretty down to earth for a guy with 5 Grammy awards in one year. Highly recommended by yours truly. He may even revitalize the accordion by way of the melodica (he plays both acoustic (free reed) and digital), who knows? He talks about simplicity in music creation and the fact that a good melody seems inevitable, like “it has always been there.” I think this is a sentiment many of us can relate to. Not to mention a wife or other loved one with cancer and how he handles the strain on his career and musicianship.

Anyway, no accordions or melodicas in this video, but if it doesn’t make you chuckle, I’d say there is no hope!

Anyway, no accordions or melodicas in this video, but if it doesn’t make you chuckle, I’d say there is no hope!
Loved it!❤️
Reminds me of an African phenomenon called "swanking"
Some related images here
And here:

Last edited:
Saw the documentary “American Symphony” last night with Jon Batiste on Netflix. He’s pretty down to earth for a guy with 5 Grammy awards in one year. Highly recommended by yours truly.
American Symphony
Jon Batiste

Thank you, thank you for the recommendation. Jon is a real inspiration to me.
I finished watching the documentary just now. It has much joy, pain, faith, love, emotion, hope. I got weepy in more than one place.

Besides that, anything else I could say would be shallow. Watch it.

JKJ

Saw him live tonight, with his melodica! Very high energy show, wow!

IMG_2251.jpeg

Back