• We're having a little contest throughout February. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

I've just bought a Hohner Concerto 111 72 bass

B

Ben_H

:shock:

Firstly, I hope it turns up.

Secondly, I need to learn how to use ebay! :hb

I thought I was setting my maximum bid, but when I hit go it lumped it all down immediately and no-one else was bidding. Still, it could have been worse, I could have put a higher maximum bid. :roll:

Sleep well everyone!

Glenn

Been here for ages!
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I hope you are happy with the price you paid.

B

Ben_H

Actually, yeah, I'm not unhappy with it :) It was the reserve price so I may not have got it any cheaper anyway.

dunlustin

Prolific poster
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I think you'll find you were setting your max bid. This "kicks in" when bidding against others. If alone you will pay either the minimum bid or the reserve. Unfortunately you don't know that the reserve is.
I don't feel it's important if my max is the max I'm happy to pay.
There have been horror stories where two people have thought "I really want this so I'll put in a ridiculously high bid" and not followed the auction.

B

Ben_H

dunlustin said:
I think youll find you were setting your max bid. This kicks in when bidding against others. If alone you will pay either the minimum bid or the reserve. Unfortunately you dont know that the reserve is.
I dont feel its important if my max is the max Im happy to pay.
There have been horror stories where two people have thought I really want this so Ill put in a ridiculously high bid and not followed the auction.

Ah, that explains it, I think. Id asked the seller privately if there was a buy now price. They said no, but told me what the reserve was, which coincided with the value that was my max anyway.

Cheers

Ben

Glenn

Been here for ages!
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Ben, I think you have the price the seller wanted and if the accordion turns out to be a good-un then the enjoyment per pound stirling will be well worth it.
Think on the long term. That's what I tell my wife.

E

Eannain

Fingers crossed it turns up intact! The one experience I've had with having an ebay accordion posted to me resulted in it needing repairs.

dunlustin

Prolific poster
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thinks:
From memory ebay doesn't tell you if there is a Reserve until the fist bid does not reach it - hence your surprise.
I've wondered why bidders sometimes put in a single bid, the another - I now guess it's to uncover" the existence of a reserve??