• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks

Is it worth it?

knobby

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
1596289887000.pngI'm currently accordion-less and have been since I returned to the UK last March. My accordions are still in Spain, although I will be bringing one to the UK on 10 October. But I'm getting a really strong urge to start learning again... now!

I have the opportunity to purchase one of these 32 bass Chinese Stella accordions for £65. I'd have to buy it unseen, although I would be collecting it in person.

I know these are cheap, poor quality accordions, but do you think it's worth buying at that price to use for a couple of months until I get my other one over here? Or should I just temper my enthusiasm and wait till October?

Eddy Yates

Reaction score
When I was without an instrument, I rented one for 2 months. It cost much more than you’re planning to spend on the Stella. You need something to play, and you can watch “A Streetcar Named Desire”, rename it “An Accordion Named Desire”, play your own soundtrack, and when you get to the famous Marlon Brando scene, yell, “Stella!!”

debra

Been here for ages!
Staff member
Technical Adviser
Reaction score
Whether this is worth the risk highly depends on whether you can fix problems. It's possible that some note(s) don't play in one direction (that's a minor thing to fix but a major thing in terms of annoyance). Something could be out of tune...
And then of course with 32 basses the left hand is limited in what you can do.

TomBR

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Only you know whether you're willing to risk £65 but that's the most you can lose! A black 32 bass Stella sold recently on Ebay for £65. If this one does actually play you can play it for a bit then put it on Ebay and you should get something back.

32 bass is limiting of course. If you'd be happy playing right hand only, and want to take no risk, you could have a lot of fun with a Casio SA-46 electronic keyboard at about £35 brand new. Play it accordion-wise with the keyboard vertical. The keys are accordion width, the sounds aren't bad and it's lighter and smaller for carrying around than the smallest accordion....

Anyanka

Staff member
Reaction score
I bought a Stella cheap on eBay when I wanted to find out if I could teach myself accordion, years ago - the toe in the water. Horrible sound, but it did the job, and I resold it with a tiny profit a few months later after upgrading. Can't remember how much I paid for it, but probably around £60.

That's a "yes, go for it" from me.

JIM D.

Been here for ages!
Technical Adviser
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The Question " Is it worth buying" ??
Well the're are Pro's & Con's on this one.
First the Con's
(1) The box was an extremely poorly made instrument when new and used will be an accident waiting to happen
(2) As for the value - it has none.
(3) the most likely defective parts it will have and it's key limitations will only result in bad playing habits.

As for the Pro's
(1) I really can't think of one !!

Sorry for the negatives ;
JIM D.

Glenn

Staff member
Reaction score
What do you normally play? If it is so different in quality to this, you will be gnashing your teeth at every squeeze.

knobby

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

JeffJetton

Reaction score
Whether this is worth the risk highly depends on whether you can fix problems.
Agreed. A friend of mine once gave me some valuable advice: "Don't buy a cheap car unless you know how to fix cars."

Same goes for a lot of other things, include accordions.

Glenn

Staff member
Reaction score
So basically you play a Hohner Atlantic (assume you don’t bother with the outdated electronics) which can be a nice sounding 4 voice accordion. I think you’ll see quite a difference with the Stella, not least the size and weight of the thing.

Stephen Hawkins

Prolific poster
Reaction score
Hi Knobby,

I know that it has gone now, but I believe the Chinese box would have been worth buying. All you could have lost is £65, and you would have had a "walk on the wild side" for your money. Buying that Chinese box would also have afforded you the opportunity to evaluate the instrument, after which you could speak with some authority on its merits. (or lack thereof)

Kind Regards,

Stephen.