• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Is it proper to ask questions about Accordion Dealers on the Accordionists Forum?

My accordions all got through fine. The clincher had been my main accordion getting shipped from Switzerland to Germany...
It's the luck of the draw. I once won an auction and had an accordion shipped from Italy to the Netherlands and it arrived in absolutely pristine condition. But I also had a look at an accordion that an employee (post-doc) of our university had shipped from Portugal to the Netherlands (through UPS) and "something wasn't right". It did not have visible damage on the outside but inside the bass blocks had sprung loose and were flying around... Not good!

full size accordions:

if it is is a vintage, ir-replaceable accordion, don't ship it
carry it

if it is a modern accordion still in production, insure the heck
out of it and double check the manufacturer is still in business
and still makes that model

if it is a smaller box, maybe the risk is not so great

if it is a Chinese Hohner, who cares ?

would that sum it up ?

My accordions all got through fine. The clincher had been my main accordion getting shipped from Switzerland to Germany. I wasn't at home when the postman rang, so I got a notifucation card for fetching it at the post office next day earliest. It wasn't there. Over the next weeks a lot of phone calls, Emails, letters were sent. Apparently a truckload full of packages was misdirected right back into Switzerland. There was no way of stopping its progress while it made it to the border, passed custom in reverse and went on back to the sender where it arrived maybe 10 days later. The sender (probably on my suggestion) told his delivery person that both he and I still wanted the parcel delivered. Big mistake.

The Swiss post service had delivered the package to the German one and received its return. As far as they were concerned, they had done their job. The package ended in the "unwanted packages" queue in Chiasso, waiting for its destruction. A bunch of calls and Emails later, the package was back on the way to its sender again (the only option available) who, after paying a hefty fine on top of the posting fee and custom fees (minus the actual tolls which were added back when the package crossed back over the border), was able to receive it about 3 weeks after sending it.

Better luck next try, fortunately. I think the sender was sick enough of the instrument and process that he didn't even try reclaiming the lost money (all-in-all probably about CHF 70 plus all the effort). It probably would have been a fingerpointing and responsibility shifting and "we have no process for this" feast of the several involved post services anyway, so probably that choice was smarter than it seemed at the time to me.
Wow! Thanks for that story dak! That must have been frustrating.
The bug has hit me big time, and I really want to replace the accordion (Stradavox - full size student model I think, literally held together with tape) my dad bought me when I was around 10 years old with a new one or two!

Wow! Thanks for that story dak! That must have been frustrating.
The bug has hit me big time, and I really want to replace the accordion (Stradavox - full size student model I think, literally held together with tape) my dad bought me when I was around 10 years old with a new one or two!
Just my humble opinion, but I still believe buying a new accordion directly from a small artisanal builder, who will take pride in their packing/shipping is the best avenue/bang for the buck for purchasing an upgrade instrument. Of course, visiting the shop/showroom is recommended but not always possible. Most shops will have someone (“Paolo’s” grand nephew) around who can answer your inquiries in English. If money is no object, go look at the Planets in the Cities. Good luck!!!!

I purchased a used accordion from LB (which is a 3-hour drive for me) tried it at home, then returned it for a full refund the following week. They did want to know my reason for returning it, but they fully honored their 7-day refund policy with no complaints or complications. I think their prices are a bit high, but i consider them to be a knowledgeable and trustworthy dealer.

I purchased three accordions from LB without issues. Two were in original hard cases, one in a gig bag. All were heavily padded in cardboard boxes, USPS Priority (my request). Mind you, this is across the mainland US then another 3k miles to the middle of the pacific. One, the Polverini c30 had traditional construction, the little Hohner Starlet mostly plastic, and the Marchesa was cast aluminum. This was in 2021, the M in 2022. Our local Post Office and delivery personnel are exceptionally careful as well. My first, a new Bravo III 72, bought locally in Utah, I shipped in a container with household goods and it arrived perfect despite a delay due to a hurricane, in 2016. It was wrapped in yards of plastic and put in a box with our blankets. Maybe I’ve just been lucky. Well, not as lucky as Paul De Bra who really can drive to an accordion factory.

I bought 3 accordions from Liberty Bellows all packed very well for shipping and arrived in perfect condition. An added benefit of shipping is there is no tax. If you drive to LB and buy it there, you have to pay the state tax, which I believe is 6%.

full size accordions:

if it is is a vintage, ir-replaceable accordion, don't ship it
carry it

Definitely this. When I found the Settimio I'd been looking for I was busy and the rail ticket was as much as the instrument so I went for shipping. Regretted it almost straight away and had a nervous few days waiting for it to arrive. It was damaged, but just a stuck bass piston. Lesson learned!

Definitely this. When I found the Settimio I'd been looking for I was busy and the rail ticket was as much as the instrument so I went for shipping. Regretted it almost straight away and had a nervous few days waiting for it to arrive. It was damaged, but just a stuck bass piston. Lesson learned!
A few days? Well, we had it tough. Not just did our accordion parcel arrive a month later (see above) but all the bass pistons were sticking (some oaf considered it a good idea to use some resin-containing oil on the bass mechanics). And we loved what we were getting (ultimately).

But you tell the young people of today…

Ah, thanks. I see what you mean. So I'll reveal the establishment.

Drum roll please: Liberty Bellows located in Philadelphia, PA.

Please PM me with your thoughts about this company. Thank you!
I recently (two weeks ago) bought a Scandalli Air III from LB. I drove to their store to pick it up. I actually bought the accordion while I was in Paris in December and they held it for me with just a deposit. They were pleasant and helpful. It is a C-griff which is new to me so one the store people sat and played a few songs for me so I could hear the box. They made sure I was parked OK (apparently an issue there) and let me try out another accordion. Before I left one of the technicians played every reed on the box. Three were slow to sound and he fixed that. All in all I give LB an A+ While I was in the shop several technicians were tuning or repairing accordions.
It's about a 2 and a half hour drive for me from Baltimore. They are now my go to guys.

I recently (two weeks ago) bought a Scandalli Air III from LB. I drove to their store to pick it up. I actually bought the accordion while I was in Paris in December and they held it for me with just a deposit. They were pleasant and helpful. It is a C-griff which is new to me so one the store people sat and played a few songs for me so I could hear the box. They made sure I was parked OK (apparently an issue there) and let me try out another accordion. Before I left one of the technicians played every reed on the box. Three were slow to sound and he fixed that. All in all I give LB an A+ While I was in the shop several technicians were tuning or repairing accordions.
It's about a 2 and a half hour drive for me from Baltimore. They are now my go to guys.
Yes, Mike the owner is very personable, and is very willing to talk if he's not already involved with another customer. Stas is a fantastic as a demonstrator for my two chromatics I bought from LB. I haven't bought from Elena, though I've met her in the store, and she and Stas continue to demonstrate online far beyond anything I can do. I've been to the shop perhaps a dozen times from the DC area (as my daughter lives near LB-- she gets a visit too ;). ) I've always seen technicians working on accordions-- and they adjusted the register switches on my Hohner Tango while I went for lunch. I've purchased a Roland 3 from the shop, and now my two CBAs.
It's clear one pays a bit of a premium for buying from LB, and usually one can do better selling directly to an interested buyer, but I continue to patronize LB for music, supplies, and even an accordion t-shirt.
LB shipped an accordion safely from PA to VA, and it's clear they know what they're doing when it comes to shipping.

The trip with his parents was long ago and resulted in a Morino.
But last year he went to Germany (with a stopover in Amsterdam if I'm not mistaken, so maybe that's where the confusion came from?).
I've read up on his webpage. It was, after all, Amsterdam where he got his Gola, with a stopover in Frankfurt, so maybe that's where the confusion came from?

I've read up on his webpage. It was, after all, Amsterdam where he got his Gola, with a stopover in Frankfurt, so maybe that's where the confusion came from?
You are right! As illogical as it is the trip was to Amsterdam via Frankfurt. Doesn't really make sense because Frankfurt is much further from Canada than Amsterdam, and a direct flight to Amsterdam should not have been a problem... Maybe it has to do with a specific choice of airline (in order to carry the accordion on board, guaranteed.)

Ah, thanks. I see what you mean. So I'll reveal the establishment.

Drum roll please: Liberty Bellows located in Philadelphia, PA.

Please PM me with your thoughts about this company. Thank you!
I have never shopped there, I know a few that went there a couple of times. The experience was either really good, luke warm or completely unsatisfactory, depending on whom you speak to and depending on who you deal with.

Defining your needs, letting them know you are a serious purchaser and not just window shopping AND being straight with them that you are looking at different dealers for similar boxes will get them to try to work with you. It really is hit or miss, honestly. One guy walked in and played every box on the floor and had every question answered, then came back in for a 2nd accordion, was given the selection on a table and left alone until they left.

Generally, their prices are a bit higher than market, but they hire a crew to run the business, make the videos, run the store front and internet business side and so on, that all adds to their value but also their costs and those costs are passed to the customers.

They are there to make a profit. If you can acknowledge this, know your budget, know the approximate value of the accordions you are seeing and can find one that you finalize on, and can do a little business dickering, potentially even coming to a price you both can live with, you may walk out with a box that will keep you happy for years.

I'm not divulging any secrets and I am not openly putting them on a pedestal or poo-pooing them, just sharing the info that I heard first hand from people that walked in there and both walked out with accordions or left disappointed. :)

You are right! As illogical as it is the trip was to Amsterdam via Frankfurt. Doesn't really make sense because Frankfurt is much further from Canada than Amsterdam, and a direct flight to Amsterdam should not have been a problem... Maybe it has to do with a specific choice of airline (in order to carry the accordion on board, guaranteed.)
Simple question, with a simple answer. The flight from Montreal>Frankfurt>Amsterdam saved me $600 and added only 3 hours to the trip overall... and it was only on the way to Amsterdam. I had a direct flight (Amsterdam > Montreal), on the way back, which they had to give me at the same lower price because I had the 2nd seat and it actually cost them less to give me a direct flight rather than the 2nd seat on TWO planes at a 50% price reduction. :)

Simple question, with a simple answer. The flight from Montreal>Frankfurt>Amsterdam saved me $600 and added only 3 hours to the trip overall... and it was only on the way to Amsterdam. I had a direct flight (Amsterdam > Montreal), on the way back, which they had to give me at the same lower price because I had the 2nd seat and it actually cost them less to give me a direct flight rather than the 2nd seat on TWO planes at a 50% price reduction. :)
Thanks for clearing that up. I too have had some rather illogical detours in the past, saving a lot of money in the process.
I have also seen the picture now of the two men, both with a Gola. They look familiar to me but I'm really bad with names...
Your Gola undoubtedly has some interesting history behind it!

Thanks for clearing that up. I too have had some rather illogical detours in the past, saving a lot of money in the process.
I have also seen the picture now of the two men, both with a Gola. They look familiar to me but I'm really bad with names...
Your Gola undoubtedly has some interesting history behind it!
You may know them as they run an accordion club in Amsterdam.

The man I bought from (the first Gola in the video above) was selling it for his very ill friend of many decades and near the end of my time I had the chance to speak to the owner briefly to finalize the sale. The video is taken at one of the 40+ gigs that they apparently do per year.

I was told that they don't play anything difficult but are quite busy with a dedicated rehersal location and an older membership. I believe the club is called AVES.

Okay then. I've purchased my new accordion. It wasn't from Liberty because the one I was eyeing was sold. Some day soon I might put up the make and model. I didn't drive anywhere to look at a wall of boxes and further my confusion. My choice was made by lots of listening and company reputation. It was shipped to me without a scratch. Thanks to all for offering their experiences. Let's go make some music!

Back