• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks

Is FR1x OK for tropical climate?

K

keelbolt

As I live for a fair part of the year in Bangkok (work related), I've struggled with humidity and temperature to the point that I don't bring my Piano Accordion out here. It's only a cheap Baille 48 Bass which I got off Ebay for £60 - but which is beautifully in tune, horribly loud, and horribly heavy. Fine for our Morris side - they like loud because they dance outside. And banned from our Bangkok apartment by my wife, because she really dislikes the sound and volume, and wants to keep the peace with our Thai neighbours (not that they seem to worry too much about noises off)!

But a friend here lent me a small, child's accordion because we need one in our folk band, and I play. Problem proved. Out of tune. Badly, on some notes. The heat and humidity really sucks.

Looking for ideas, advice, etc, online I stumble across the Roland FR1X. Now there's a thought! If it's digital, the tuning shouldn't be bothered by the heat and humidity. And I love Roland. I have their 700NX stage piano in the apartment here, and for the past four years it's coped with heat, humidity, dust, cat hairs, etc, without too much complaint.

So hunting for users of the FR1X to check my hypothesis, I discover this forum. Am I right? Will an electronic digital instrument solve both the tuning and volume issues? I don't think I want anything bigger than the FR1X. Lugging all that weight on an airplane back and forth from UK to BKK can get expensive, I already have a 5 String Banjo to lug, and I have a tendency towards a bad back. And the YouTube demos of the 1X seem to show it has plenty of scope.

So users of the Digital Accordion, please advise. If you're in Bangkok, I'll buy you a drink. If you're near Wells or Bristol in the UK, ditto. over the Christmas break. And any advice warmly taken. I did almost click on an ebay on last night going for around £780. But I've learned not to be tooooo rash!

K

keelbolt

Hen's teeth, really. The ones I've found are awful. Out of tune. And way too overpriced.

JIM D.

Been here for ages!
Technical Adviser
Site Supporter
Reaction score
There is a Roland distributor in Bangkok --

Theara Music Co.,Ltd.
100-108 SoiVerng Kakornkasem,
New Road, Sumpantawong,
Bangkok 10100,THAILAND
Tel.(02) 224-8821

Soulsaver

Been here for ages!
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hi And welcome. I'd advise you change the title of this thread (or start a new one) if you want to attract (more) answers to the main jist - like 'Is FR1x OK for tropical climate?' or the like. You may want to ask about shipping issues too.

K

keelbolt

Yes, good old Theera Music, up in China Town. Got my Roland case from them. But I wouldn't buy an instrument in Thailand - more reasonably priced in the UK, because of the high import duties. Unless you want a fake Rolex, things tend to be a tad more expensive here....!! Says he, who bought his 700NX from Music Concept, Central Plaza... I'm back in the UK for Christmas, so looking at buying then. FR1X seems to be priced at £1090 in most shops in the UK. Not sure I really need a bigger one - the demos of the FR1X seem to offer a lot.

Great forum, BTW. Learning a lot.

Just learned how to edit the title of a thread, too!

TW

Site Supporter
Reaction score
FR1X is a lovely versatile box without doubt.
Mine is the CBA version and I have had it for a year or two.
I tried the PA variant last week but found the keys too narrow for comfort.

Can't comment on the tropical element..but don't all electronic instruments dislike humidity?

K

keelbolt

yes, but nowhere near as much as reed instruments.. They don't go out of tune in the heat! At least, my Roland 700NX doesnt'.

Soulsaver

Been here for ages!
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Will an Fr1 travel as hand baggage? You wouldn't want an acoustic to be put it in the hold, but would a V be ok?
And wouldn't you have to declare it? And pay the duty?

K

keelbolt

Soulsaver said:
Will an Fr1 travel as hand baggage? You wouldnt want an acoustic to be put it in the hold, but would a V be ok?
And wouldnt you have to declare it? And pay the duty?
FR1 and FR3 ok as hand baggage. No, dont have to declare. Bought in UK is fine. Never had a problem with Thai customs.