• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks

IORIO ACORGAN

Chickers

Reaction score
Anyone have an idea of the Iorio Model this might be ? I also understand some of these had the "tone generator" internal, and
some external, I have no idea how this one would work. No instructions, no cables, just the basic accordion.
I would appreciate any comments you all might have.
Thanks much,
CHICKERS

Attachments

• IORIO ACORGAN PIC 2.jpg
    IORIO ACORGAN PIC 2.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 12
  • IORIO ACORGAN PIC 3 IMG_0747.jpg
    IORIO ACORGAN PIC 3 IMG_0747.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 10
  • IORIO ACROGAN PIC 1.jpg
    IORIO ACROGAN PIC 1.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 11

JIM D.

Been here for ages!
Technical Adviser
Site Supporter
Reaction score
This model was one of the first produced with all internal electronics. Used with or without a volume pedal and connected to an external
amp or sound system. Because of their bulk & weight 99% of performers played them while . The box hade quality reeds and
unplugged were a good sounding acoustic accordion but was still too bulky & heavy for strolling. These Iorio accordion/organ models
were introduced in the early 60's along with the Bell Cordovox that offered an accordion/organ that had only internal triggers to power
a separate tone generator & amp. The Bell made units when plugged in used Lowrey organ sounds and when unplugged were light
enough for strolling These accordion/organ models from Iorio & Bell continued with updated models thru the late 70's when MiDi
kits became available to convert any make accordion.
I myself was there in the 60's and owed & performed with many accordion/organ models until the inception of MiDi conversions.
If you are really interested in the history of these first accordion/organ models, by all means read this history of their development ----

Last edited:

JerryPH

Been here for ages!
Site Supporter
Reaction score
This has to be a very early model, if not *the* first model of Accorgan that Iorio put out. Yes this one had all the electronic internals inside the accordion and likely had a specific pedal with a nice thick multiwire "rope" that connected the 2 and the pedal connected to the power. I have the older later one, and it worked that way. External tone generators came I believe, 1-2 generations later than this one. I also own the "Iorio" version called the Elkavox with Cassotto and hand made reeds. That one used the external tone generator and had much higher quality sounds.

A couple pics of my Iorio Accorgan:
accorgan-S3-1.jpg

accorgan-S3-2.jpg

I played this one so long that I wore out the chest padding... lol

JIM D.

Been here for ages!
Technical Adviser
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Chickers to answer one of your first questions -- the model in your pic' required the box plugged into a foot pedal power unit that
supplied power to the accordion via a firing cable.

Chickers

Reaction score
JIM / JERRY:
Thanks for the info.
Do you think it feasible / worthwhile to remove the electronics and have a good acoustic accordion ?
Overall the accordion is in real nice condition, and is quite attractive, but just too heavy to play.
It's probably in such nice condition because it was always too heavy to play. Ha, ha.
CHICKERS

Tom

Been here for ages!
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hi Chickers, I'm not any Jim or Jerry, but I have done such to an old Cordovox and seen these heavy beasts made into really nice acoustics because the reeds are nice. They are still heavy though.... Since you don't have that much in it, you could do it yourself. I recommend you do it in a fashion that is reversible though, in case you want to sell or give it away as an electronic. Let's see what he experts say. Good luck!

JIM D.

Been here for ages!
Technical Adviser
Site Supporter
Reaction score
On older self contained Accorgans removing the electronics will make them lighter but your box only has the triggers (contacts) inside
with all the electronics in the separate tone generator. Removing the contacts on your box will only save not more than 2 pounds
of weight. Your Accorgan was a 3 piece unit that had a firing cable/foot pedal and a tone generator. The original firing cables were
an obsolete part 20 years ago and now scarce as hens teeth. The old tone generators had electronics that lasted for 30 to 40 years
before the electronics began to fail & require replacement. You can easily buy a new accordion for less than it would cost to
rebuild an old tone generator. Your old firing cable & tone generator unit was most likely sent to a landfill years ago. These 60's
to 70's era Iorios had excellent reeds (some had hand made) with a frame of aged hardwoods. If you don't mind the weight
it's still a fine sounding acoustic accordion.

And just a note, there were and are some midi kits for older Accorgan's, Elkavox's & Cordovox's that used separate tone generators.
The units were made in Italy and plugged into the accordions eliminated the firing cables & tone generators. It allowed these
older accordion/organ models to simply plug into a midi expander. These midi kits showed up on Ebay a few years ago and with
some research they still might be found on the web. Might try --- https://www.facebook.com/groups/accordionvalue/
or --- https://www.facebook.com/groups/696185617073979/

Last edited:

JerryPH

Been here for ages!
Site Supporter
Reaction score
JIM / JERRY:
Thanks for the info.
Do you think it feasible / worthwhile to remove the electronics and have a good acoustic accordion ?
Overall the accordion is in real nice condition, and is quite attractive, but just too heavy to play.
It's probably in such nice condition because it was always too heavy to play. Ha, ha.
CHICKERS
"Good" acoustic accordion, yeah, but honestly, I'd toss a vote on preservation and if you want a good acoustic, traded it in for a "better" acoustic. I saw an "emptied" Elka and it was horrible... kind of a travesty, not something it deserves.