• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks

Independent accordion consultant in Castelfidardo

GeorgeK

Reaction score
Hello from Ottawa, Canada.   I am a novice senior accordion enthusiast and have found several interesting new accordions made and sold in Castelfidardo, Italy.  Really, I would like to find a person to provide independent advise on the various models and test the unit before it is shipped to Canada. Hoping some person has a name or persons there who may help.  

Also wanted to ask if any member has had experience with Agenzia Italia, a Castlefidardo maker under their own or retail buyers brands. The company is operated by the family who owned and sold the Excelsior accordion company several years ago.  Extremely helpful and patient folks there, but would like to know more of their products before making my decision.   Looking forward to any replies.   Be well and keep safe, George

debra

Been here for ages!
Technical Adviser
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'm afraid that what you're asking for is to a large extent impossible. Any person or company who has accordions for sale will have a bias towards the instruments he has for sale. It's a lesson in "sales 101": what you have in stock is always better than what you do not have in stock...

D

Deleted member 48

Hello, 
Welcome to the forum. 

You could look for a team of advisors, ask opinions from 3 or 5 or x persons. 

Make a mix of opinions: students, teachers, dealers. 
Focus on independent people,  Paul is right about the stock and sales.

JIM D.

Been here for ages!
Technical Adviser
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Paul is quite correct on his response.
An accordionist from this region will YES have Information on models made by local firms, But in 99% of the time have some allegiance to a local brand.
The same instance will also happen here on this side of the pond.
For years I have worked on new & used accordions of many brands & quality. I will gladly offer my opinions of many brands as with some accordion shops here.
You can call it allegiance but when it comes purchasing a new box I recommend models made by Pigini (Excelsior & Titano. The reasoning for this is as I have an affiliation with a Pigini dealer and can order models, offer a discounted price and still have a small commission on the sale.
You will find this instance on both sides of the pond.

debra

Been here for ages!
Technical Adviser
Site Supporter
Reaction score
JIM D. said:
An accordionist from this region will YES have Information on models made by local firms, But in 99% of the time have some allegiance to a local brand.
For years I have worked on new & used accordions of many brands & quality. I will gladly offer my opinions of many brands as with some accordion shops here.
You can call it allegiance but when it comes purchasing a new box I recommend models made by Pigini (Excelsior & Titano. The reasoning for this is as I have an affiliation with a Pigini dealer and can order models, offer a discounted price and still have a small commission on the sale.

A very fair insight! I have no connection to any manufacturer, just preferences on instruments based on personal experience, with instruments I play or have played, and with instruments I have repaired. My experience is in majority with "better" instruments, with cassotto, with hand finished or hand made reeds... Most of the questions for advice that I get are for lower end instruments, and there I cannot really draw on my experience regarding which I think sounds better than others, but I have seen technical differences and have some idea as to which accordions will last longer (without major problems) than others. As I only repair (and play) and do not sell accordions I am completely impartial, but that doesn't mean I would be a big help in giving advice as I can only give advice on what is available on the market.

craptiger

Mudchutney - folky clothing
Reaction score
debra said:
JIM D. said:

A very fair insight! I have no connection to any manufacturer, just preferences on instruments based on personal experience, with instruments I play or have played, and with instruments I have repaired. My experience is in majority with "better" instruments, with cassotto, with hand finished or hand made reeds... Most of the questions for advice that I get are for lower end instruments, and there I cannot really draw on my experience regarding which I think sounds better than others, but I have seen technical differences and have some idea as to which accordions will last longer (without major problems) than others. As I only repair (and play) and do not sell accordions I am completely impartial, but that doesn't mean I would be a big help in giving advice as I can only give advice on what is available on the market.

I think it's totally down to personal preference.  I've played new boxes from pretty much all of the manufacturers over the years and don't like certain manufacturers keyboards, or the sound from others, or the physical shape / dimensions of others.  As such, I'd never buy a box I hadn't tried in person.  You could save more money buying a flight to Italy (when lockdown is over) than you'd otherwise waste buying a box you didn't like.

Or actually...buy a flight to the Musik Messe in Frankfurt, Germany where most of the makers go to show off their wares once a year.  Then you can try them all.

OuijaBoard

Reaction score
These guys are all companeros and have overlapping alliances all over town there. They are sharing parts and labor as it is. Any "objective" guide will in fact have alliances and friendships you'll never know about. The solution is to take your own expert! Don't forget to visit Beltuna and Ottavianelli!

Dingo40

Been here for ages!
Reaction score
I imagine seeking independent advice on buying an accordion must be very like seeking independent investment advice :)

Tom

Been here for ages!
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Welcome George! Hope you find the accordion of your dreams! In my experience some people are happy with their accordion and others are always looking for the better one. It's either love the one you're with or the grass is always greener on the other side. You can get a million recommendations but you can only decide what you like and whether you will be happy.

Stephen Hawkins

Experienced Gentleman.
Reaction score
Hello George,

I wish that I could clearly recall the precise details of a thread from a few years ago, but I will try to give you the fundamentals as I remember them.

A countryman of yours wrote a thread which gave a detailed account of how he lost a considerable sum of money by dealing directly with a manufacturer in Castelfidardo. It appears that the gentleman returned a new (but faulty) instrument to the manufacturer for remedial work, and the company went bankrupt. His instrument was put on the "assets" list by the liquidators, and I believe that our Canadian friend was considering the possibility of engaging an Italian Solicitor in an attempt to recover his property.

I imagine that Canada has similar consumer protection laws to those we have in the UK. With this in mind, may I suggest that you contact a reputable dealer in Canada? At least you would have the security of tight consumer protection laws, together with the peace of mind that brings. Then, if anything goes wrong with the transaction, the dealer is wholly responsible for any losses. (and will be insured against such losses)

I'm sorry if this is not quite what you wanted to hear, but I think it best that you are made aware of potential pitfalls.

Kind Regards,

Stephen.