• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

I wish I still had that one

Status
Not open for further replies.

artelagro

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Go on, admit it.
You sold the one that gave you most pleasure and now, having more experience, you regret it.
What make/model was it?
What was so good about it?
Is this the one you would now recommend to those looking for a box?
Honest answers please.
Garth

I have to admit, I am pretty lucky... I still have every accordion that I ever played/practiced on, BUT, there is one accordion I would love to have, it is the first one that I ever wore, at the age of 17 months old. :)

http://syner-g.asuscomm.com/mymusic/files/minime.jpg>
minime.jpg

My dad took this picture near Christmas 1961... wish I had that little thing today. :)

The one that I really miss was this pancordion:

Although it was kind of a pain at times I think with a proper repairman it would have been a good accordion. (but I didn't know any at the time)

I don't think it had a brand name (other than Pancordion) but the specs were:
4/5 dry tuned no tone chamber.
8 Treble and 7 bass switches.

The reason that I enjoyed it was the tone of the accordion was wonderful, the keyboard was light, and the bass buttons were crisp and springy. If it didn't have hand made reeds I would be surprised.

I ended up trading it on the advice of my teacher at the time (who sold it to me) for next to nothing.
I still am mad that I let it go.
Ben

Attachments

• pancordion.jpg
    pancordion.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 1,231
1950s 2-voice Fontanelli.

Bought from Ebay for £20 – The seller had described it as ‘beyond repair’ because some of the bass buttons had stuck down and the casing was fixed by internal spring clips which had broken off flush. – Talk about a red rag to a bull!

At the time I considered it to be a bog standard, student level accordion but the more I think about it, the more I would say the designers got it just right. It had 120 bass buttons, 41 piano keys which were narrow enough to be used by younger players and a weight which compared favourably with a 72 bass box. Add to that, Italian build quality with a lovely soft tone to match.

I really miss this one and would have no qualms recommending it to young or old if you can find one for under £100 – I will definitely have another when I find out where she has hidden the cheque book.

artelagro said:
Go on, admit it.
You sold the one that gave you most pleasure and now, having more experience, you regret it.
What make/model was it?
What was so good about it?
Is this the one you would now recommend to those looking for a box?
Honest answers please.
Garth

Scandalli super vi, two of them, relatively light, smooth keyboard, superb sound. Thought I could not do them justice.
Cm

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mixed regret here! Ten or twelve years ago I was only playing fiddle but decided to try CBA. At the time you could get a very inexpensive "Primo" from The Music Room, I guess it was probably 60 bass. It arrived and on a rather brief try I was making no sense of it at all, so it went back and I headed off into the world of diatonics for a while before settling on PA. I do just wonder if I'd stuck to it a bit longer...... If there'd been the online resources then that there are now, I think it would have made a big difference.

I can't part with the ones I like... or, even may like in the future.. so I have no regrets on the ones I've sold :)
However I regret not buying Colin's Super VI.. :(

I reckon I have had aa couple of strokes of luck recently. My first 3 row box was a hohner trichord ( either pre war or early post war which I acquired about 45 years ago and sold after 5 years. It has now come back to me , in need of an overhaul but a box I certainly wont sell again as I will keep it for old age when a featherweight 3 voice mmm box may be needed!

Also I regretted selling a hohner gaelic 96 bass some years ago to part fund a much posher paolo soprani . The soprani was a nice box but with hindsight I preferred the gaelic even though mine was not a prime example. However I have recently bought perfect gaelic from Scottish senior accordion champion Brandon Mcphee. It is perfect in every way despite its 50 or so years and since acquiring it I have not touched any of my other boxes - this will be another 'keeper'

george

{} Fjsts:
I can only cringe at the thought you let that PAN go.
I have been repairing many and rebuilding (8) in the past years and because of their robust construcion were easy rebuilds and will outlive their owners with care.
These Pro-Model Pancordions (Made by Crucianelli) were preferred and used extensively by well none accordionists such as Myron Floren --

And still today by artists like Joey Musquin --

Dont feel bad for your loss -- and sorry if Im rubbing it in {}

I still have all my accordions, so not an issue so far.

But keyboards? Yeesh. Oft are the times I rue getting rid of some of those. A "suitcase" Fender Rhodes, two (yes two!) model D6 Clavinets, some great old analog synths... *sigh*

I`ve let at least 2 very good high end Pancordions go over the past few years mainly for the sake of profit. I`m often and almost always remorseful after selling off a good hard to find instrument but I never could justify keeping more than a couple personal accordions for my own use. The Pancordions were definitely on the heavy side but as Jim D said , they were exceptionally well made and I for one loved the quality sound of those reeds.
At one time I had 3 Excelsior model 00`s too but ended up selling them for a profit. One has to know when to draw that line and say no to the idea of keeping every nice accordion that comes your way. I`ve learned that nearly all , if not every , accordion 60+ yrs old is in dire need of a total re-wax , valve , and maybe a re-tuning. In the end your pallet valves, bass valves , and keyboard action has been already aged and worn to some extent even if not showing a need for service yet. These things always needs to be factored into the purchase. Almost like buying a used car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back