• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

I was given my first accordion a week ago, SO much fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Q

QuaverRest

I was given this sweet little accordion last week, and Ive hardly put it down! I am very taken with this instrument and Im very keen to learn more about it :)

Here is my first (shaky!!) arrangement, I think youll have heard this melody before lol.. (Sorry!)

Great forum guys and girls, I look forward to learning a lot from your collective accordion mind :)

Jon :D

Hi Jon,
Welcome to the forum. You are obviously off to a flying start.

Hi Jon & Welcome - I tink you are the first to post a imbedded youtube video on a first post! And great progress after just a week! It isn't your first go on a keyboard?

Welcome to the forum!

How does one do to imbedd a video? I have tried several times but failed.

Thanks guys :) I'm a multi-instrumentalist, and I play a little piano which has helped :))

I'm having tremendous fun with my little 12 bass, the red thenar eminence on my left hand pays tribute to that, haha!

I wish I'd discovered this wonderful instrument years ago. The colleague who gave me this accordion last week is a professional jazz pianist, who has (had lol) 4 accordions, and suggested I give this one a try :)

Thank you for your kind and supportive comments, it is a pleasure to meet you all :)

Jon

If anyone is up for a giggle, here is my first attempt last week... Oh dear...

barkis said:
Welcome to the forum!

If you reply with quote from my post, you can see the video code around my youtube link. Use that, and make sure that your link has http and not https at the start :)

Hello QuaveRest (good name) Keep it up, wont be long before you will be upgrading to 60 or 72 bass.

goldtopia said:
Hello QuaveRest (good name) Keep it up, wont be long before you will be upgrading to 60 or 72 bass.

I would love to have one! My only problem is, being a student, Im somewhat *ahem* low on the money front.. (Sad music)

Can you recommend any models to look out for on ebay or gumtree that would be reasonably playable for around 50 or 60 pounds? It needent be perfect, or well tuned, but solidly built enough to experiment with :)

I think 50 quid will be a tallish order unless you are very lucky.
A bit like looking for a Porche for 50 quid. They do exist but they have been in a serious crash and then burnt-out.
Hopefully fire wont be an issue with a low price accordion but a serious crash might be :lol:
Still, the hunt is part of the fun.

True lol! I don't think my technique is deft enough to cause combustion, sadly :p :p

Perhaps it's time to start saving.. I've seen some serviced vintage accordions in the £300-£400 range.. Perhaps a hohner student model?

In the meantime, I'm loving my little mini-accordion. :D

Thank you! Ill keep an eye out for those models :)

Ive seen this Alvari for sale locally for £40. Apparently the bellows, buttons and keys are all fine, although its a little out of tune (which I dont mind!). It only has 24 buttons though, perhaps a good halfway house? Unless this is a nice model, I may hold out for a 48..

Choices choices!

>5hsAehZ.jpg

barkis said:
Welcome to the forum!

If you reply with quote from my post, you can see the video code around my youtube link. Use that, and make sure that your link has http and not https at the start :)[/quote]
Yes, it worked! :b Thank you so much!

Don't worry too much if the Alvari is not the ideal instrument.
As you are clearly bitten/smitten it's only a matter of time before you buy another one.
On a more serious note a 48 bass gives a lot more options. You will need to decide whether 8 * 6 or 12 * 4 suits you better.
12*4 goes right round the circle of fifths but has neither 7th or Dim chords whereas the 8*6 has the chords but fewer key options.
Accordions are always about compromise.
Enjoy you newfound passion -,there is no known cure!

dunlustin said:
12*4 goes right round the circle of fifths but has neither 7th or Dim chords whereas the 8*6 has the chords but fewer key options.
Accordions are always about compromise.
Enjoy you newfound passion -,there is no known cure!

I did not know that! Interesting.. My music degree was in jazz, so I love the idea of having all available keys.. But at the same time the diminished chords would come in very handy.. But then again if I had a fully chromatic bass range, I could use two notes a minor third apart and fill in the rest on the keyboard..

A true dilemma! I love it! :)

Thank you for your advice :D

Ha ...told you you'd like it here........good bunch of eggs ...but watch out for that Jarvo fellow ...he just plays That's Amore over and over ....and not even on a Ukulele..
Hang On ...I'm slagging myself off here.......Ladies and Gents ...I present Jon Hyde ...I found him lurking on a Ukuk-lele site ...and then he revealed that he had gone over to the squeezy side and I sent him here ...and here he is......(Plays a mean uke as well) :b :ch

Jarvo..

PS He may kickstart my squeezing too.....I regrettably have been deficient...well always was ...............

Jon, with a music degree and playing various instruments I cannot imagine you being happy with anything less than a. 72 bass (or maybe an 80 bass). These sizes have all possible keys for everything from 3 bar blues to harmonically complex jazz.

Welcome to the forum,
if you have a jazz degree I would suggest you a 72 bass,
accordion is very suitable for jazz:

Thanks jarvo! Good to see you sir, thanks again for recommending this splendid forum :)

Glenn and johndev, youve certainly convinced me! Ill save up for an 72 or 80 bass :) it will be worth the wait!

There is only one problem though.. Does anyone have any tips for convincing the wife/girlfriend to go along with the idea..?! Haha!

Here is the maximum number of instruments I am *ahem* allowed to keep in the house.. The other 4/5ths are at my parents house (bless them).

>MMnsbC5.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back