• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

I opened the accordion and found this, should I repair it?

zqd9853572002

Reaction score
I opened the accordion and found the reeds like this, you can see some leather are lift up. When I pull (open) the bellow, I can hear the very beautiful tremolo sound (wet sound and very beautiful bright). But when I push (close) the bellow, I can listen some keys sound become dry and not bright (I don't know if it you can understand it...), so...is that caused by the lifted leather? And is that worth to repair those leather? The logic behind is, I don't want to throw it to the garbage as I did hear the nice sound, so I guess the reed itself is still good, but just need some repair, so if everything get fixed or tuned, it should be a good accordion.

Another question, I never see the black "glue" on the reeds before, is that something strange they use in 1950-1970?

IMG_20231010_222549.jpgIMG_20231010_222533.jpgIMG_20231010_222419.jpgIMG_20231010_222337.jpg

IMG_20231010_222605.jpg

Last edited:
zqd: The valves and stiffeners look to be homemade by a previous DIY repair person. Irrespective of that all valves will need replacement.
The 'black' glue is unusual. It is important that this glue can be removed easily without causing damage to the reedblocks etc. It is recommended you try removing one of the reeds. Remove the nail with the edge of a knife and then try levering off the reed with the same knife.
I'm sure it would be of interest if you can publish more pictures; both inside and outside the accordion.

Yes, this accordion will be majorly improved by replacing the leathers, as boxplayer has mentioned. Whether it is “worth” it depends on the overall condition of the accordion, and whether you will do it yourself, or have to pay someone. Unless it’s a real high class accordion, it’s probably not worth it financially to pay someone. But the repair could be fun, if you are into that kind of thing. You could easily spend a week re leathering and re waxing the reeds. You could also spend a week re building a carburetor. Or nailing down some shingles on your roof. Like they say over there, “different strokes for different folks.” Anyway, good luck and have fun!!!!!! You can do it!!!!!!

zqd: The valves and stiffeners look to be homemade by a previous DIY repair person. Irrespective of that all valves will need replacement.
The 'black' glue is unusual. It is important that this glue can be removed easily without causing damage to the reedblocks etc. It is recommended you try removing one of the reeds. Remove the nail with the edge of a knife and then try levering off the reed with the same knife.
I'm sure it would be of interest if you can publish more pictures; both inside and outside the accordion.
Sure, I found a sale post of the same model, it is the exactly the same model as mine, one difference is the bellow, I think my accordion's bellow was replaced (looks like a brand new bellow, color is black), other are all the same.

Thank you for the suggestion. As I am new to the accordion repair, I am not sure if it worth a try to do it by myself, no tools and no parts (the valve, no matter it is plastic or the leather, and the most important is having no idea how to fix it (if there is video or instrument, that's would be great)...I did try to ask price to change all valve and tune for this accordion, it is around $50 USD + shipping...so some hesitate now....

Sure, I found a sale post of the same model, it is the exactly the same model as mine, one difference is the bellow, I think my accordion's bellow was replaced (looks like a brand new bellow, color is black), other are all the same.

Thank you for the suggestion. As I am new to the accordion repair, I am not sure if it worth a try to do it by myself, no tools and no parts (the valve, no matter it is plastic or the leather, and the most important is having no idea how to fix it (if there is video or instrument, that's would be great)...I did try to ask price to change all valve and tune for this accordion, it is around $50 USD + shipping...so some hesitate now....
The first thing you should really do is to study the site www.accordionrevival.com.
We all wish that whoever botched up this accordion had done so before starting to butcher it.
The black material that looks like tar is definitely not what should have been used to keep the reed plates in place. The leathers are all curled up, but before you replace them you can try to straighten them. First pull them off, then use a leather softener (like for leather seats), curl the leathers in the opposite direction until they can lay down pretty much flat, and then glue them back on. For the ones with a "booster spring" you should replace those. All materials you need can be bought from accordion parts stores, but while this accordion may still be worth investing a bit of your own time on it it is unlikely wise to spend a lot on materials, nor is it worth having a professional do it because it will quickly cost more than the restored accordion will be worth. I'm sorry to say but any amount of money you spent on buying this accordion was that amount wasted.

Nah, not wasted if you learn 50 bucks worth of repair and research. But only if you have the inclination. You could buy some real accordion wax and tuning files and have a good old time, not worry about wrecking it.

$50 to replace all the valves and tune? That doesn't sound right. That's a big job that I can't imagine anyone doing for $50.

Yes, this accordion will be majorly improved by replacing the leathers, as boxplayer has mentioned. Whether it is “worth” it depends on the overall condition of the accordion, and whether you will do it yourself, or have to pay someone. Unless it’s a real high class accordion, it’s probably not worth it financially to pay someone. But the repair could be fun, if you are into that kind of thing. You could easily spend a week re leathering and re waxing the reeds. You could also spend a week re building a carburetor. Or nailing down some shingles on your roof. Like they say over there, “different strokes for different folks.” Anyway, good luck and have fun!!!!!! You can do it!!!!!!
Agreed Tom, I checked some videos and seems replacing the re-valve is not a huge task, especially if I just need to replace one side. I will try to fix it by myself.

Reactions: Tom
The first thing you should really do is to study the site www.accordionrevival.com.
We all wish that whoever botched up this accordion had done so before starting to butcher it.
The black material that looks like tar is definitely not what should have been used to keep the reed plates in place. The leathers are all curled up, but before you replace them you can try to straighten them. First pull them off, then use a leather softener (like for leather seats), curl the leathers in the opposite direction until they can lay down pretty much flat, and then glue them back on. For the ones with a "booster spring" you should replace those. All materials you need can be bought from accordion parts stores, but while this accordion may still be worth investing a bit of your own time on it it is unlikely wise to spend a lot on materials, nor is it worth having a professional do it because it will quickly cost more than the restored accordion will be worth. I'm sorry to say but any amount of money you spent on buying this accordion was that amount wasted.
Thanks for the suggestions, I read the revival website and checked some videos yesterday, I will buy some valves and replace them, I checked the price, seems really cheap. My expectation to this accordion is small + cheap + tremolo tuned, so not invest lots of money on it, but will invest time on exploring it and fixing it.

Last edited:
Hmmmm, I took it to mean it was a beater for repair for $50…..
haha, I will take this accordion as an try. Anyway it's a 32 bass accordion, now I found it's another way to use - to explore how to fix accordion, lol. Will report here about my progress...but may wait until the year end or beginning next year...

Reactions: Tom
Do not replace leather valves with plastic: that substantially changes the sound. Also the pitch.

Back