• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks

I can find almost no information on my accordion

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Lyusternik

My father picked it up at a garage sale on a whim for a song (pardon the pun). With the help of YouTube and related guides, we were able fix the accordion ourselves. However, we have been unable to identify it.

I apologize for poor picture quality.

There is a label that says Bertell but it appears to be damaged. Google Images of Accordion Bertelli show accordions with similar markings but no information. There is also a logo on the center oval of the piano side, I will upload a better picture tomorrow.

As shown in the picture:
Right hand is piano, left hand has six rows of twenty buttons. None of the buttons or keys have any distinguishing marks.

On the piano side there are five register switches: one switch cover is missing but the switch itself is intact.

I hope to learn to play the accordion with this instrument. I dont intend to sell it, but I do want to know what exactly I have.

Quote:
" I don't intend to sell it, but I do want to know what exactly I have."
Now that is refreshing!
Good luck with getting to grips with it.

Bertelli isnt among the manufacturers on the lists that Ive seen. However your Googling may have found a Roy Bertelli that dedicated his life to accordions and an interesting story of his tombstone in a Springfield, Illinois grave yard.

If he was an accordion teacher during this dedication, there was a trend for the teacher to supply students with accordions supplied by the manufacturer with the teachers name badge on, instead of their own .

http://agraveinterest.blogspot.co.uk/2012/06/accordions-in-cemetery.html

So whilst not definitive, its a possibility.

Your accordion is one of the student model accordions Roy Bertelli imported with his badge applied. Roy imported two and three reed student and four reed semi-pro models in the late 50s thru the 60s. I had the opportunity to work on a three reed model that was taken in for trade at http://www.falcettimusic.com/ some 10 to 12 years ago. The box was a very good grade Italian import and was of robust construction with quality machine made reeds. The box was very well taken care of and needed very little work to get it in shape for sale. If I remember correctly it sold very quickly for $750. I cant make out from your pic, but I would say you have a 5 shift three reed (LMM) treble and four reed bass model accordion.

JIM D. said:
Your accordion is one of the student model accordions Roy Bertelli imported with his badge applied. Roy imported two and three reed student and four reed semi-pro models in the late 50s thru the 60s. I had the opportunity to work on a three reed model that was taken in for trade at http://www.falcettimusic.com/ some 10 to 12 years ago. The box was a very good grade Italian import and was of robust construction with quality machine made reeds. The box was very well taken care of and needed very little work to get it in shape for sale. If I remember correctly it sold very quickly for $750. I cant make out from your pic, but I would say you have a 5 shift three reed (LMM) treble and four reed bass model accordion.

Quite an unusual design and the other examples found look pretty similar, suggesting mostly a single source?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back