• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks

Hurricane Irma and Floridian Accordionists

EMan

Reaction score
I was asked about this by a couple of people on the forum, so I thought I would start a separate thread, rather than hi jack a thread on a different subject.

We are in Northeastern Florida, about 50 miles south of Jacksonville about 6-7 miles from the coast. Under "normal" circumstances a little piece of heaven. While the coastal areas of our town are under mandatory evacuation, we are not. Relative to Florida geography we are on reasonably high ground compared to some of our friends ( 32 ft above sea level). That's not a whole lot of terra firma below us, but is sufficient to keep us out of water. We are in neither a flood zone or and evac zone. Most of Florida would have to be under water for it to get to us.

Wind will be our only problem. From what we can see, the projected winds(including gusts) should stay under 110 mph. There'll be plenty of rain and we'll probably lose power, but we have plenty of wine, pasta, homemade italian bread, sausage to keep us satiated. I have plenty of gas for my generator ( about 3-4 days worth). Of course, there is always my Borsini to break up the boredom.

Hopefully the down time, w/o power will not be too long and there won't be too much damage. We're going to see if the builder did a good job constructing the house to code. The construction should withstand the forecast winds for our area.

Our fellow Floridians; i.e. Naples, Fort Meyers, Tampa, in the SW part of the start are really going to catch the brunt of this.
They, as well as us, need prayers.

I expect, starting soon, I will be w/o internet for a number of days, but will get back on the forum ASAP after that.

Ed

Corsaire

Reaction score
Stay safe and I hope you and yours don't find things too difficult. The news reports here are pretty up to date and conditions look pretty devastating.

Glenn

Been here for ages!
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Good luck with the storm Ed. Can't imagine myself what such a storm is like.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JerryPH

Been here for ages!
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Ed and I have been exchanging a little here and there this week. All the good thoughts I can muster are going out that way.

Ed, stay safe my friend!!