• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

How do I identify which chords to play

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

AccoTony

Hello. I would like to ask how do I identify from sheet music which basses/chords to play? Usually there are written something like 7 (seventh chord) m (minor) and etc. But I have found notes which do not contain these signs, just plain notes and I am confused which ones to play.

Actually, in the case below, there are signs like m+m but these do not make sense for me (m+m? what ?)
So, by and large, I am questioning how could I read bass notes just from the notes itself? Not from the signs 7, m, M
I think you got the idea.
notes.jpg

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unfortunately there is not a single standard notation. The low note of course means the base note, but some will just write a single high note indicating the chord, with some letter notation to indicate major, minor, 7th... but others will write out the chord itself so you have to know from the notes which chord that then is.
The example with A and then A and B is confusing to say the least as there is no obvious chord that A plus B would indicate (at least not obvious to me).
In many cases once you see the base note and you also have the melody line it will become obvious which chord to use after a few years of experience.

This is sort of the AAA chord notation (American Accordionists Association, I kid you not). I found a copy of instructions at this link.

I would interpret this as A in the bass and A minor and B major in the chords. Which makes pretty little sense, so whats the key signature?

Geronimo post_id=54254 time=1515450017 user_id=2623 said:
This is sort of the AAA chord notation (American Accordionists Association, I kid you not). I found a copy of instructions at this link.

I would interpret this as A in the bass and A minor and B major in the chords. Which makes pretty little sense, so whats the key signature?

Well... B major + A minor does make sense (B D# F# A C E) when the notes go up in this order and B is the base note, but on Stradella all the octaves are mixed and it sounds awful. The chord B minor + A major (B D Fis A Cis E) makes more sense and sounds fine even on Stradella but the base note still has to be B...
In any case the notation seems to be what I wrote before: have just the base note of the chord written down and use a letter or number to indicate major, minor, 7th... but in this example it makes no sense to me.

You could be over-analysing this. I'd say it has a signature which is not visible in the picture, or it's just some scary dissonant passage.

m and M is indeed minor + Major. It is also common in some piano sheet music I guess to save space.

jozz post_id=54258 time=1515486960 user_id=2600 said:
You could be over-analysing this. Id say it has a signature which is not visible in the picture, or its just some scary dissonant passage.

m and M is indeed minor + Major. It is also common in some piano sheet music I guess to save space.

there are 2 full pages of the notes Im trying to decipher. Perhaps these will imply something?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    401.2 KB · Views: 1,371
  • 2.gif
    2.gif
    666.3 KB · Views: 1,371
Is that Libertango? Odd way to notate it. Looks like they're calling for an eighth-note bellows shake there?

I play similar chords there, but without the constant Am chord (that is, just the bass and other chord, without the Am added to the mix). Try that and see if sounds like you think it should.

No key signature. Well, the corresponding treble system makes it obvious that B major is right and intended since that is what appears in the right hand. And there is little doubt in the rest being bass note A with A minor chord. Musically, this is, uh, audacious.

Geronimo post_id=54267 time=1515517493 user_id=2623 said:
No key signature. Well, the corresponding treble system makes it obvious that B major is right and intended since that is what appears in the right hand. And there is little doubt in the rest being bass note A with A minor chord. Musically, this is, uh, audacious.

Some of these combined chord basses always go well together because of overlap. It helps to play a minor-7, or some 9 chords. But A minor plus B major has no overlap and it is not just audacious, it sounds just awful when the notes end up in the same octave.

The piece is this one:
<YOUTUBE id=60qdLcU8Ma8 url=></YOUTUBE>

He even does the strike keyboard and fingers stuff mentioned on the sheet. When the faster part starts you can see his bass hand hit the chords and when the change comes he might be doing B major and A minor at the same time...

This is somehow out of topic but I have been wondering if there is always a point to transcription... especially when the cover is far-fetched, virtuoso or rather personnal.

You can do the B bass note over Am chord.
Doesn’t appear to be written like that but it’s a possibility in this piece.
The Am chord is static and the bass cycles over A, B, D, A if I remember correctly.

Maybe somebody has a version of Omaggio ad Astor Piazzolla with clearly (standard) written bass notation and could possibly share?
The version I have is too much confused and I cannot figure it out at all.

reivilos92 post_id=54286 time=1515535472 user_id=2528 said:
This is somehow out of topic but I have been wondering if there is always a point to transcription... especially when the cover is far-fetched, virtuoso or rather personnal.

Of course there is: such new compositions based on popular songs can themselves become very popular. Ommagio ad Piazzolla is a very popular accordion piece, played solo, in duo or in ensemble. Several Russian (or other easter european) composers and accordion virtuosi have written similar music based on popular songs. My all-time favorite is the French Ballad by Novikov, based on Feuilles Mortes (Autumn Leaves).

AccoTony post_id=54504 time=1516273922 user_id=2683 said:
Maybe somebody has a version of Omaggio ad Astor Piazzolla with clearly (standard) written bass notation and could possibly share?

Bumping this. I have searched the net and I cannot stumble into any reasonable notes.
I am willing to pay for a comprehensive sheet of notes.

AccoTony post_id=56875 time=1523023722 user_id=2683 said:
AccoTony post_id=54504 time=1516273922 user_id=2683 said:

Bumping this. I have searched the net and I cannot stumble into any reasonable notes.
I am willing to pay for a comprehensive sheet of notes.
How about the unreasonable notes? Do any of them reflect what you want to be playing, just in unsuitable form? In that case you might use a notation program (or pay someone to do it) in order to get a version to your liking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back