• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

How did you learn the bass keyboard

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

accordian

I own a 120 bass and honestly one of the things I’m having trouble with is learning the bass side as So far I’ve been learning a couple songs that use jumps with hand slides and it is quite confusing because although I will be able to play the jump in the song, whenever I try to see if I can find the note I’m looking for like a test I can’t do it at all.

I’m considering separating the bass into sections and then I will have say 4 rows in each section and 4 rotations in each section with this method it will in theory work in a grid eg. Hand position horizontal + hand rotation = whatever button.

What do you guys think.

if this theory works then it may be faster in the long run compared to learning each combination of movement from buttons.

accordian post_id=53989 time=1514683177 user_id=2458 said:
if this theory works then it may be faster in the long run compared to learning each combination of movement from buttons.
In the long run, practice is the one thing that works. But putting a self-made theory to the test is one of the more reliable ways to organise and keep a practice regime.

accordian post_id=53989 time=1514683177 user_id=2458 said:
I own a 120 bass and honestly one of the things I’m having trouble with is learning the bass side ...

I’m considering separating the bass into sections and then I will have say 4 rows in each section and 4 rotations in each section with this method it will in theory work in a grid eg. Hand position horizontal + hand rotation = whatever button.

Sounds like a plausible idea, but as long as you practice a lot any method will do.
The reality is that you do have to shift the position of your hand when you go way up or down, do keeping a few positions and rotations for initial practice sounds good.
What should also work is to position the wrist such that it is at the same angle for every piece at the start, meaning you position it so that the wrist position corresponds to the key the music is written in.

it all depends on how you are learning and why you are learning the box.

If you are taking a serious course of classicaly based study with or without a teacher and with or without exams and grades you will only progress along your chosen path by doing exactly what the book and or teacher recomme

however if you are wanting to get the hang of playing a simple bass accompaniment either for playing 'by ear' of to put a bass line in if playing from a melody line ( without bass) of sheet music it is wrth remembering that for a great many tunes only 3 chords ( and bass notes) will give a very reasonable sound. Guitarists refer to it as the '3 chord trick'. If you follow Anyankas excellent advice to have a bass chart in front of you you will see that there are both vertical and diagonal rows of bass buttons. The diagonal rows are ,for what its worth, a 5th apart which in simple terms means that for any given key you will only need 3 aadjaccent diagonal rows. So if playing in key of C you need the C diagonal row, the one below it (F) and the one above it (G). if playing in G just move up one diagonal to start with the G row. below it is the C row and above it is the D row.

to summerise its the diagonal row of the key you are playing in , the one above it and the one below it! You can of course play just the chords or an um pa rhythm using the fundamental bass and the major chord ( see bass chart).

Once you have got the hang of playing the 3 chord trick you can add other bits of bass eg by playing a 7th chord here and there instead of a major chord, same goes for a minor chord. You can also 'jump a little further, perhaps by eg in key of see using FCG bass but in places play D bass instead of G bass i.e if it sounds better!

But first get the hang of 'busking in ' the appropriate 3 chords and don't be in too much of a hurry to expand it - the 3 chords will sound better when you get the hang of how you actually play them eg staccato (short) or legato (long) and the type of rhythm you are trying to drive etc etc etc.

playing in front of a mirror can also help in the early days but some will probably disagree with that, In my experience as a teacher it is most unlikely that you will become dependant on a mirror once you can locate the bass buttons by feel etc

george

Also what helpes, if you have an accordion with only the C marked in the bass, is making a little scratch in the other bassnotes (commonly the E and Ab) to feel where you are.

wout post_id=54006 time=1514756244 user_id=1654 said:
Also what helpes, if you have an accordion with only the C marked in the bass, is making a little scratch in the other bassnotes (commonly the E and Ab) to feel where you are.

Good suggestion. Some accordions come with this from the factory: a dimple in the C bass and a grid-pattern texture on E and Ab. Others have a gem in the C and dimple in E and Ab.

well I have had a quick try of my 4 button radius and have tried playing a pattern which I can then number my hand positions and it works pretty well the only problem is as you said I only have my c bass marked which although might sound stupid I have just picked up / someone bought me a 120 bass vintage accordion for christmas which I don't really want to change too much as it's in really good condition. however marking the buttons would definatley be a help. do any of you know if there are any stick on jewels or anything like that that wont leave behind any residue as said I know I can wipe it off but I really don't want to have to mess about with it too much.

Are you trying to run before you can walk?
As a beginner it is best to work on songs that move around a fixed area of the bass. Being a beginner and attempting impressive jumps from day one will not allow you to slowly but surely learn the bass. I know this sounds so boring but practice makes perfect, especially if you work in a structured way towards your goals.

Glenn post_id=54020 time=1514838567 user_id=61 said:
Are you trying to run before you can walk?
As a beginner it is best to work on songs that move around a fixed area of the bass. Being a beginner and attempting impressive jumps from day one will not allow you to slowly but surely learn the bass. I know this sounds so boring but practice makes perfect, especially if you work in a structured way towards your goals.

yes I am however I wouldnt say songs that really require any muscle memory as so far I play songs which i find quite easy eg. house of the rising sun. i can play multiple songs that dont just go up or down 1 level eg. my 4 radius trick for the chords CM GM Am however at the moment im having trouble because one minute ive got it 100 percent. then then im hitting the right notes but they might feel in a different spot eg. dm to em sometimes it might feel like it should be higher. as well as this if I try to find the correct note like the same way with a computer keyboard then I dont get the right note. I cant go to a random note and then find the note im looking for. as well as this when i go wrong when trying to play a song i try to correct myself and see whats wrong however with so much that can effect what goes wrong it can sometimes be hard to see.

as well as this it can be hard to tell which position to have my fingers as i might be reach for say dm from em or cm but then its sorta gets a little confusing then theres lots of different positions for each button.

I dont know perhaps its just me and overthinking it.

My solution for now is to play only songs that don't require much for jumps. There's a saying in country music "Three chords and the truth."

lightninboy post_id=54024 time=1514845821 user_id=913 said:
My solution for now is to play only songs that dont require much for jumps. Theres a saying in country music Three chords and the truth.

see thats the thing though i understand practice makes perect however im not sure in which way to practice as somethings in my 4 button radius dont add up eg. say i need to go to dm to em then if i did it my way then it would be really pointless as I would be jumping with my hand (moving my hand vertically)

accordian post_id=54025 time=1514848051 user_id=2458 said:
see thats the thing though i understand practice makes perect however im not sure in which way to practice as somethings in my 4 button radius dont add up eg. say i need to go to dm to em then if i did it my way then it would be really pointless as I would be jumping with my hand (moving my hand vertically)
If you make up your own methods and the methods dont match the music, youll need to use different music or amend your method. Either way, being sure in which way to practice effectively is not likely a luxury available to self-taught musicians since insights only come with practice.

Geronimo post_id=54026 time=1514849156 user_id=2623 said:
If you make up your own methods and the methods dont match the music, youll need to use different music or amend your method. Either way, being sure in which way to practice effectively is not likely a luxury available to self-taught musicians since insights only come with practice.

well damn but oh well. still i spose as said i can get good at playing my way and the change it up if needed. thats definatley a bonus eg. i hear alot of pop songs use CM, GM, am and my 4 button radius method works great or that

accordian post_id=54027 time=1514857728 user_id=2458 said:
Geronimo post_id=54026 time=1514849156 user_id=2623 said:

well damn but oh well. still i spose as said i can get good at playing my way and the change it up if needed. thats definatley a bonus eg. i hear alot of pop songs use CM, GM, am and my 4 button radius method works great. still my methods although the theory of the way i should practice im still trying to figure out it kinda feels a little cheaty compared to those who can play bass like a computer keyboard

Accordion wrote: ''Someone bought me a 120 bass vintage accordion for Christmas which I don't really want to change too much as it's in really good condition. However marking the buttons would definitely be a help. Do any of you know if there is any stick on jewels or anything like that that won’t leave behind any residue? As said I know I can wipe it off but I really don't want to have to mess about with it too much.’'

As a temporary measure, try placing a small piece of blue tack to the button you wish to find. This should familiarise you with its positioning & reassure you that the correct note is being played,

I do this to help me find an unfamiliar counter bass, or to confirm correctness when making a long jump.

Blue tack is useful; it leaves no sticky residue & will instantly serve your purpose.

just been playing song of storms again and found a better way to jumps but I dont know how to explain how to do it compared to the way I did it before here is a video showing it. do any of you guys know how explain what I was doing in the incorrect part as thats how Ive been making jumps before sorta exaggerated maybe is the best way to explain it. what do you guys think.

<YOUTUBE id=YCDhsJ6uce0 url=></YOUTUBE>

(this is me)

Oh, regarding jumps there is one thing worthwhile mentioning: the uglier ones tend not to be right after one another, so it may help anticipating them: if you have three oom-pahs before a jump, this gives you all the time in the world to change fingerings such that the jump becomes smaller/easier. Just because you arrive on one finger for a repeated note or alternation does not mean that every repetition needs to be done using the same fingers. It's the same on the treble, of course, but on the bass the trap is somewhat different since there is a lot of repetitive stuff alternating between buttons already so one tends to think in finger pairs regarding placement options.

accordian post_id=54040 time=1514900763 user_id=2458 said:
just been playing song of storms again and found a better way to jumps
You realize that you dont need to jump at all here if you play the half-step up using 3-2-2 5-4-4 (counting the thumb as 1 even though it doesnt get used)? It fits at least my hand well enough that I can feel around with the pinky already while playing the lower pattern. I mean, improving your homing ability is certainly something youll also want to do independently, but this one rather calls for training fingering smartness in my book. At some point of time, youll need both anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back