• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks

Hole in a mano reed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jomme

Reaction score
Hello

Anybody knows why there is a hole going through the side of the a mono reeds I ordered? Should I keep them open??
Cheers
G

Attachments

• Compress_20220308_232623_3599.jpg
    Compress_20220308_232623_3599.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 24
They will get filled with the wax when mounted. The hole might be a locating device when it's mounted in the milling machine. Does the hole go all the way thru the plate? Is there a second hole on the opposite side? If so, it could be a start assist for the heavy reed, and then would need to be kept open.
I'm sure other's will have info.

Thanks, its only on one side and the reed will be nailed an screwed so I guess I will have to obstruct it...

Thanks, its only on one side and the reed will be nailed an screwed so I guess I will have to obstruct it...
I've not yet encountered this, but when you wax the reed in place the hole getting filled with wax will make it more likely for the wax to hold the reed in place in the long term. So it certainly does not hurt.
There are normally never any holes all the way through. A hole does not help large reeds to start, quite the opposite. A hole might help a small (piccolo) reed to start but even that is not needed as the opposing reed on the reed plate acts as that hole. (A hole, typically in the wax, may help with something like a high reed in an accordina where there is no opposing reed on the reed plate.)

Most likely the hole is used for locking the plate in a C & C machine. It will however aid in locking the reed plate in position
when waxed. More & more manufacturing firms are installing C & C machines as they are more profitable than employees
producing a part at a time one a milling machine. A C & C machine can be initially expensive but more profitable in the long
run. Unlike an employee a C & C machine does not get paid for overtime, call out for sick days, and they don't take vacations.

Last edited:
I've not yet encountered this, but when you wax the reed in place the hole getting filled with wax will make it more likely for the wax to hold the reed in place in the long term. So it certainly does not hurt.
There are normally never any holes all the way through. A hole does not help large reeds to start, quite the opposite. A hole might help a small (piccolo) reed to start but even that is not needed as the opposing reed on the reed plate acts as that hole. (A hole, typically in the wax, may help with something like a high reed in an accordina where there is no opposing reed on the reed plate.)
Yes thats true but....the holes go through and if this is new practise I can imagine we could have wax going through also if it doesnt cool down fast enough...These are for lailing so i will wax the holes...

Yes thats true but....the holes go through and if this is new practise I can imagine we could have wax going through also if it doesnt cool down fast enough...These are for lailing so i will wax the holes...
Don't worry about the wax going through. The metal of the reed plate will cool down the wax fast enough for it not to go all the way through.

Thanks Paul, this is also what I thought, wouls be interesting to know where the hole comes from... could be to hold it in a cnc machine but without hole this wouls be no problem to secure the reed so... one day we will find out ;-)

Hello, little update, I talked to a accordion manufacturer and he said that the hole is necessary on this big bass reeds to make them start, if no hole in the reed they sometimes make one in the wood he said... In fact I should check what makes the difference in the Morino....
Cheers
Jomme

So then, the hole shouldn't be blocked by wax.
But, due to its placement, wouldn't that be terribly inconvenient!?

Hello, little update, I talked to a accordion manufacturer and he said that the hole is necessary on this big bass reeds to make them start, if no hole in the reed they sometimes make one in the wood he said... In fact I should check what makes the difference in the Morino....
Cheers
Jomme
This is a very odd statement that goes completely against my own experience. If for instance the "opposing" reed is missing a valve or the valve does not close properly then the "playing" reed has more difficulty to start than when the opposing reed's valve is closing properly.
This holds especially for the larger bass reeds. Spilled air is only needed for small (piccolo) reeds to help them start.
Even the super-large lowest bass reeds on my bayan are very responsive (better than any Italian bass reeds) and they have no hole to help achieve this.

Hey Paul,
Thats what I have been told..bought the reed from Carini and dont know where they get them from..

Upon further inspection of the original post, it shows a reed with the reed tip awfully close to the reed plate. Normally that would mean that the reed will choke very easily. The rule of thumb is that the reed tip should sit above one reed-thickness above the reed plate to avoid choking while still being responsive. The hole in the reed can help a bit to avoid the choking by not blocking the airflow completely when the reed is sucked into the opening. It may be a new practice to add this hole to alleviate choking, but this is just a guess, not knowledge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back