• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks

Hohner Tango V Accordian (Seeking information)

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

beachoverwash

So I have recently acquired this Hohner Tango V accordion at an estate sale for an amazing steal of a deal (In my opinion). I have been looking around and trying to research it to find out as much information as I can. From the accordion list on this site, I have found it to most likely be from 1937-1939. would this sound correct? Is there any other unique or interesting information I should know about it? I would really like to know a rough value of this accordion if possible. The accordion is in ok condition with some minor repairs to the bellows. The far left key is also sticking and seems to be non-functional, however, all other keys and buttons function correctly and play. It is also missing the neck strap which I consider worth mentioning.

Images of Accordion: Internals: Thanks everyone for any extra information you can provide for me on this awesome accordion!

TomBR

Prolific poster
Site Supporter
Reaction score
"Sold listings," ie actual sale prices, on EbayUK of Tangos with no couplers seem to run at about £50-£75.
Lots of other "I recently got an accordion......" discussions here explaining the crucial balance between cost of work needed, and the potential value of the accordion after the work has been done.
Hope you'll enjoy playing it.

B

beachoverwash

Hmm. I have been looking but I could never actually find this exact accordion or much information on it. Usually always different Models of it with the exception of maybe one I have found before.

Soulsaver

Been here for ages!
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'd agree that it is prob just pre war. And I'd agree that it is a model age that you don't see, and was a pretty fine instrument in its day. Unfortunately that doesn't make it worth more than the cost of the work needed to bring it back to good playable condition. You may think it's ok , but the corrosion on the bellows corners will be reflected internally in the condition of the reeds, leathers, pallets & pads - it will be beyond economical repair, unless you can do it yourself. And even then... consider there are well over 400 reeds in this instrument.

JIM D.

Been here for ages!
Technical Adviser
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Well there's bad news and good news on this one. First the bad news -- I must by all means echo Soulsaver's remarks on this one. As any expense in parts and labor to restore this one will far outweigh it's value when completed. The good news is this one is it's a fine piece for the amateur wishing to learn accordion repair. Much like a medical student would use a cadaver in the study of Anatomy.

Soulsaver

Been here for ages!
Site Supporter
Reaction score
JIM D. said:
Well theres bad news and good news on this one. First the bad news -- I must by all means echo Soulsavers remarks on this one. As any expense in parts and labor to restore this one will far outweigh its value when completed. The good news is this one is its a fine piece for the amateur wishing to learn accordion repair. Much like a medical student would use a cadaver in the study of Anatomy.
Good point, Jim.. and well made.. :)

Soulsaver

Been here for ages!
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Just to reinforce our comments, it would be good if the poster showed us pictures of the internals? Can you pull the treble side bellows pins out, keep them in order to replace them in the same holes, and separate the top half for pictures of both sides reeds?

B

beachoverwash

Thank you all for the information and feedback. As requested, I have taken a few more pictures of the internals which I am linking here and will edit into the original post as well. I certainly see what everyone has been saying about the corrosion reflecting the internals as they seem pretty worn. Mostly the leathers. As stated by Jim, it is very interesting and fun to mess around with so I do believe I will just hang on to it and play around with the internals and learn more about how they work and function.

Internals:

Soulsaver

Been here for ages!
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks, appreciated. Good to see theory reinforced for some who doubt the comments.. Certainly would make a great labour of love project.

Status
Not open for further replies.