• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks

Hohner Imperator IV Worth

Reaction score
Been looking at an Imperator IV to resell. I am having a hard time finding a consistent price online. Assuming there are no defects and it is in perfect condition, what is the Imperator IV series worth to you guys?

I think it's hard to find a consistent price because some consider the Imperator IV to be a fabulous accordion, and thus worth a lot, whereas others realise that the Imperator IV is essentially just an Atlantic IV but with cassotto, and thus worth a bit more than an Atlantic IV but not a whole lot more, certainly less than a Morino IV. The Imperator has "Metalbau", meaning a metal case which can be pressed at once, in a completely industrial way, which costs much less than making a wooden case like the Morino has. Couple this with cleaper machine reeds (unless you have a "de luxe" version) as opposed to tipo-a-mano (hand finished) reeds on the Morino. Around here the going rate for an Atlantic IV is roughly 800 (between 600 and 1000 depending on the condition), a Pacific IV (not a popular model but essentially a Morino without cassotto) goes for around 1500 and a Morino IV for between 2000 and 2500. The Imperator sits between the Atlantic and Morino, so I rate it around what a Pacific IV goes for, which is around 1500.

I think it's hard to find a consistent price because some consider the Imperator IV to be a fabulous accordion, and thus worth a lot, whereas others realise that the Imperator IV is essentially just an Atlantic IV but with cassotto, and thus worth a bit more than an Atlantic IV but not a whole lot more, certainly less than a Morino IV. The Imperator has "Metalbau", meaning a metal case which can be pressed at once, in a completely industrial way, which costs much less than making a wooden case like the Morino has. Couple this with cleaper machine reeds (unless you have a "de luxe" version) as opposed to tipo-a-mano (hand finished) reeds on the Morino. Around here the going rate for an Atlantic IV is roughly 800 (between 600 and 1000 depending on the condition), a Pacific IV (not a popular model but essentially a Morino without cassotto) goes for around 1500 and a Morino IV for between 2000 and 2500. The Imperator sits between the Atlantic and Morino, so I rate it around what a Pacific IV goes for, which is around 1500.
Ok thank you much! How are you able to find all this information on diffrent models? Just prior knowledge?

Paul,
What currency are you using, Paul: €s, £s, $s?🤫
Prices are very close in euro, pounds or US $, because of differences in import duties and taxes. Exchange rates vary over time of course, but for many products prices in euro and US$ are the same because taxes in Europe are higher (but there's no import duty on accordions from Europe to Europe). Anyway, these figures are only a rough ballpark. It shows how the Imperator IV compares to other, more popular Hohner models, on the used market.

Back