• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Hohner Gaelic IVS Layout

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stuart26

Reaction score
I have tried to ask this on the "button box" but it seems they are not accepting new members, so here goes.

I am interested in buying a Hohner Gaelic IVS but only if the RHS layout is identical to the Shand Morino but obviously with less keys. 
Could some of our members advise please.

I have always wanted a Shand Morino but am not willing to invest unless I am able to play both the Morino and my PA.

If the layouts are the same - is there any written instructions for learning to play this instrument ?

Thanks
Stuart

Stuart26 said:
I have tried to ask this on the "button box" but it seems they are not accepting new members, so here goes.

I am interested in buying a Hohner Gaelic IVS but only if the RHS layout is identical to the Shand Morino but obviously with less keys. 

I have always wanted a Shand Morino but am not willing to invest unless I am able to play both the Morino and my PA.

If the layouts are the same - is there any written instructions for learning to play this instrument ?

Thanks
Stuart

Stuart26 said:

Thanks
Stuart

Yes, if I can master the layout I would like a Shand Morino.

What is the difference between a Gaelic IV and a Gaelic IVS ?

Are there other 3 row button accordions with match the Morino RHS layout ?

I have a Casali 48 bass B/C/C# that is identical to the 'gif' referring to JK's box. This is because he sold it to me.
I can confirm what has been said about the RH. The bass has the (relatively) unusual but v useful 12 X 4 layout which is not limiting in the choice of key but does not have the 2 outer chord rows (7th and dim) - in other words just like the core 48 buttons on the CBA I now play.

dunlustin said:
I have a Casali 48 bass B/C/C# that is identical to the 'gif' referring to JK's box. This is because he sold it to me.
I can confirm what has been said about the RH. The bass has the (relatively) unusual but v useful 12 X 4 layout which is not limiting in the choice of key but does not have the 2 outer chord rows (7th and dim) - in other words just like the core 48 buttons on the CBA I now play.

I should think your Casali would be quite sought-after, in the admittedly relatively small world of BCC#-ers!

I have a gaelic and see it as a poor mans Shand Morino. Its aslo significantly lighter than a SM. right hand is standard BCC# layout and left 96 stradella.

The BCC# is best treated as a 2 row BC initially and the scales C, G,D ,A E learned in that order. When that is accomplished (simply follow a keyboard chart) the inside row will come into play. Do exactly the same fingering on the inside 2 rows and you get the 'flat keys; The inside row is also used to ease some tricky fingering and bellows movements when playing on the outside 2 rows as the inside row notes are mostly in opposite direction to on the outside row. So when 2 row playing is mastered introduce the F# and C on the inside row as alternatives.

You only need to learn 5 scales to play in 12 keys!

george

Tom Br wrote
'I should think your Casali would be quite sought-after'
The world of B/C/C# boxes seems to be even smaller than that of its fans! It took me about 20 years to get my hands on one. This was before a couple of makers restarted production.
I once drove from the South Coast to Sheffield to buy a Gaelic, described by the shop as vgc, only to find it was a wreck.
The advantage of any push/pull box is that it is even more compact than a cba. I played DGA diatonic for 20+ years - a great intro to cba as fingering patterns become options not rules. All cba players should be made to play 2-row diatonic for at least 5 years before switching (grin!). Come to think of it, at least in France, that probably was true in the past.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back