• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks

Hohner diatonic accordion

M

macey

I am new to this forum and a beginner accordion owner. I just purchased an antique/vintage Hohner diatonic accordion with 3 stops. I purchased the instrument because my father played one and I always wanted to learn. The stops seem locked and will not move. How can I safely free the stops?

george garside

Prolific poster
Reaction score
The one r row 3 stop is generally known as a melodeon and there is a wealth of information and expertise on melodeon.net (melnet) forum for which there is a link from this forum

george

Tom

Prolific poster
Reaction score
I have seen on at least one of those antiques that over the years the stops have been rendered "decorative" and no longer attached to moving sliders. You will have to open the accordion by separating the bellows from the sides, by removing pins that hold them together. Then look behind the reed blocks to determine if the stops are still connected to sliding thin strips that slide along behind the reeds. You may have to remove the reed blocks to see, first determining if the sliders are integral to the reed blocks. If this doesn't make sense to you take piictures and post them for advice. Good luck, Tom

M

macey

george garside said:
The one r row 3 stop is generally known as a melodeon and there is a wealth of information and expertise on melodeon.net (melnet) forum for which there is a link from this forum

george
Thanks George

M

macey

Tom said:
I have seen on at least one of those antiques that over the years the stops have been rendered decorative and no longer attached to moving sliders. You will have to open the accordion by separating the bellows from the sides, by removing pins that hold them together. Then look behind the reed blocks to determine if the stops are still connected to sliding thin strips that slide along behind the reeds. You may have to remove the reed blocks to see, first determining if the sliders are integral to the reed blocks. If this doesnt make sense to you take piictures and post them for advice. Good luck, Tom

Thanks Tom...I already removed the bellows and there appear to be strips that pass behind the reeds. It does not appear that they decorative only. I suppose that the next step will have to be remove the reed blocks although I had hoped to not have to take that step. Thanks again and best regards...Bobby

george garside

Prolific poster
Reaction score
Bobby, if there is no obvious way of taking out the reedblocks they may be glued in. If so don't try to remove them or damage may result. The slides behind the reedblocks should be connected to the 3 stops and should move up and down freely but with some resistance!.

george